PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Water & Weather Conditions » Weather and the agent/outfitter dilemma
Weather and the agent/outfitter dilemma 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
Weather impacts the peacock bass and fishing for them like no other sportfish. High water can devistate the fishing for peacock. Agents and outfitters selling fishing packages face a dilemma. Cancel the trip and risk losing the revenue or go ahead with the trip and risk losing any repeat business that customer might be interested in. Some have to look at the bottom line to keep an operation viable in the short term. Others view the dilemma long term and want the customer to understand the problems and be thankful for an agent/outfitter offering to reschedule the trip, resulting in the potential repeat business. In reality, different customers view a delay in their trip differently.

Assume 3 types of productive Amazon trips happening (good, mediocre, and poor) and two types of customers: "first timers" (FTs) and avid peacock bass anglers (APBAs) with 3 or more trips under their belt. Here's what I feel will normally happen when the customers goes and finds the following:

1. Good fishing results - The FT will love it, become addicted and book a trip the following year. The APBA will love it and book two trips the following season.
2. Mediocre fishing results - The FT will love it due to the new and unique experience in the jungle and may book another trip in a few years. The APBA will enjoy it believing that next time will be better.
3. Poor fishing results - The FT may still enjoy the trip due to the new and unique experience but probably will not ever rebook. The APBA will have a frustrating, lousey time, but they will rebook ... probably trying another agent or outfitter the following time.

Agents and outfitters want to provide Number 1 and 2 above, a win-win situation for everyone. Repeat customers are the life blood of most. Given very tough circumstances and risky fishing productivity, they have to consider all factors. If they expect Number 3, they normally choose to reschedule the trip, expecially if the booking group is composed of APBAs. Predicting fishing results from the water conditions is sometimes a guessing game for operator or agent, but as a general rule, if they ask you if you want to reschedule, DO SO.

I have had several trips cancelled due to high water and have never regreted the problems resulting from a last minute plans change BECAUSE I have been on a few trips where I tried to fish extremely high water for peacocks to no avail. Good luck everyone!

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com
"First Timer" 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Ron Thompson
Larry , being a first timer having a trip canceled was a huge let down . Although having travled quite often in the past for either fishing or hunting trips, to find conditions are not favorable when ariving is also a huge let down . Dissapointed as I was, I was also greatfull for Scott not sending us on a site seeing boat ride .Looking forward to a succesfull low water trip.
Weather and the agent/outfitter dilemma 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Water & Weather Conditions