PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » question re: line
question re: line 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:22 pm Reply with quote
neal m brown
on my trips to the amazon i typically fly fish but i also bring 2 casting rods, one of which is a st croix 3 piece 8-17lb 1/4-3/4 oz fast action, medium power tide master, spooled on a curado reel with 50lb braided. sometimes when i'm casting lighter yo zuris there does not seem to be enough umph to get the lure out. i often end up with a big backlash. question, should i drop down to 35lb test, or am i using the wrong rod for the lure? thanks, neal
Hi Neal! 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Gary Clark
Neal, For what it's worth, I think your setup sounds about right. Braid is so small in diameter to begin with, I don't think you'll notice much difference at all in dropping down to 30-40 pound test. Try leaving out a bit more line from the tip of the rod when you make your cast and see if that will improve your results. Also, you might try a saltwater Long-A in place of the Yo-Zuri. It's a bit heavier and might be easier for you to cast without backlashing. I'm assuming you have your cast control knob and braking system set up correctly to begin with.
All the bass,
Gary

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:26 pm Reply with quote
neal m brown
thanks gary

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:31 am Reply with quote
Dink Alston
Neal,

Here is my opinion on the phenomena you describe as I have seen and experienced it also.

I'm betting you're using a 7ft Tidemaster. The St. Croix Tidemasters are built on their SCVII blanks, and the travel rods tend to be a slower action than their one piece blanks. This means they bend deeper into the middle or lower portion of the rod during the cast. Typically like a spinning rod. They also use aluminum oxide guides.

What happens is when you cast, the rod imparts a high speed to the lure due to its action and length, and then the friction from the aluminum oxide guides starts slowing the line down (braid imparts much more friction on the guides than mono), but your reel is still spinning at the fast speed. Instant birdsnest.

How do you fix this? Normally the effect is lesser on shorter rods because they have less guides to slow the line down. I've found 6' or 6'-6" rods give me less of this problem. Then, if you can get a rod that has high end guides, preferrably Silicon Carbide, there is much less friction on the line from the guides as SIC is much harder and smoother than aluminum oxide. Typically, a faster action rod also helps as most of the guide friction is in the tip section of the rod as the lower part stays straighter.

Without purchasing a new rod, you need to work on slowing down in your backswing (kind of like golf) and work on your timing. If you're like me, the worst of the backlashes come when your trying to make a quick, long, hard cast to a fryball or feeding fish. Slow down and make a deliberate slowly timed cast and you will find it keeps your reel and line speed closer. Adjusting the brakes and pins on the reel tighter will help, but then that will also shorten your distance that you may need to reach that fish or fryball. With slower action rods, a slower timed takeaway and a less powerful forecast will allow the rod to do the work, and keep lure, line, and reel speeds closer together. Faster action rods tend to take quicker and more powerful casts for the same distance as only the upper part of the rod is doing the work.

This may be more info than you wanted to know.......... Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:04 pm Reply with quote
neal m brown
thanks dink. the rod is 7' and your response sounds like exactly what i'm doing when i cast. that said, i typically like to cast fast and strong. i tend to over power-i do the same in fly fishing also. in fly casting i've gone to very fast action rods and it has made a huge difference. might i do the same with a casting rod? if so, any recommendations? thanks again, neal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:59 pm Reply with quote
RLBass
Hi Guys,

I'm experiencing a somewhat different, though perhaps related, problem. Rather than over spooling into a bird's nest, about every third to fifth cast the braided line buries itself. The lure will fly about 10' to 30' and then POW! The line is all snarled and nothing's happening until I unsnarl it, pull the line all the way out, respool and try again.

I've tried various amounts of drag while spooling the reel. I've tried adjusting the drag on the reel. I've even tried various makes / weights of line -- everything from PowerPro 50# to Cabela RipCord 80#. The results are the same.

The reel is a Shimano Calais 200DC. I also tried different settings on the computer thingamajig. No improvement.

I'm about ready to give up the bait caster and just use spinning gear but I'd sure like to figure this thing out. I'm getting kind of desperate since my trip starts this Thursday. Any and all advice will be truly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:37 am Reply with quote
Dink Alston
Neal,

I didn't think about the fly rod analogy, but yes, basically the same principle.

Getting good travel rods for peacock fishing has been an interesting quest for me. The rod manufacturers are basically using their inshore trout and redfish rods or musky blanks as their only offerings in travel rods that are even close to what we need for peacocks. The GLoomis Escape rods are probably the closest I've found to what I personally would want in a peacock rod.

That being said, I have been working with various blank mfrs. to design what I think would work the best for the different techniques of peacock fishing. I already offer what I feel is the perfect travel rod for woodchopper fishing. I thought I had it covered on jigs and jerkbaits with a 3pc. I was getting from CTS composites in New Zealand. They were 6'6" 10-20lb. line and 1/2-1oz lure rating fast action and I tested them last month on the Unini and they were perfect. But I've since had to drop CTS as it takes 3-6 months to recieve my blanks, and its just a guess when they will show up.

I have in the works a very similar 3 pc. blank being designed by Lamiglas which I should have a prototype ready in a couple of weeks. This will work out much better as they will be available quicker, and will be somewhat less expensive as I don't have to bring them in from New Zealand.

Although they will be available separately, my hope is to offer the topwater and jig/jerkbait rod as a set in their own travel tube.

Dink
question re: line 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle