PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » Topwater Fishermen
Topwater Fishermen 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Bobby W. Foster
After the last couple years of on again and off again water conditions how do you think it will affect the long term usage of the big top water baits. When I first went down fishing everyone used them almost exclusively. Last year on my two weeks down some people never used them at all. I know you have to fish with whatever is working but if it ever gets where you can't catch anything on the big boys it will be hard for me to make the trip. Can't imagine not seeing and hearing the big blowups.

Bobby Foster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:39 am Reply with quote
Alan Zaremba
Bobby,
I think what is happening is no different in the Amazon then in our fishing areas in the USA. If an area gets more pressure you are going to have to look for alternate ways to catch them or move into less pressured water's. The fish are getting somewhat schooled in my opinion (for what it is worth). This is the price we are going to have to pay for the peacock sport fishing getting more popular. When peacock bass are turned on like other fish it won't matter what you put in front of them they are going to strike better but they as many other fish are streaky feeders. I have found in our lakes in Florida that the less pressured areas seem to be better for topwater fishing. The areas that get the most pressure we have to go below to get the strikes. We have to adapt our tactics!

This past trip on the Marmelos River the topwater bite was there but with my two kids on the boat, I wasn't about to make them toss a big prop bait for six days. Not to mention with three of us on the boat that can get pretty ugly pretty quick if we aren't careful.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Bob Daly
I agree with Alan: Believe the peacocks sometimes get "use" to the sound of the woodchopper especially in high pressured waters. I have had luck by just slight changes such as switching to the woodchopper slim as opposed to the giant woodchopper.

I know this is a peacock site, but leaving for 2 weeks fishing on the Alaska Peninsula next week for silvers. Anyone wanting a fishing report, please e-mail me after Sept 3. 8)

Good fishing, Bob

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Steve Townson
Bobby,
For years I've been trying 'alternative' baits to big Woodchoppers and Rippers for many reasons. As Bob says, I reckon they get used to the same ol' same ol' every week and just turn off. Another reason is my elbows are getting worn out and I wanted to try to make life easier and less painful!! The two other most successful topwater baits I have used are the bigger spook-types like the Surface Dater by Megabait and the Saltwater Rapala Skitter popper. The Skitter Popper 'spits' as much water as the woodchopper but in a more subtle way and I have had some great blow-ups just as good as with Woodchoppers. Try them next time, you'll be surprised.
Steve Townson
Confidence & Patience 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:35 am Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
Bobby,

Don't give up on your favorite lures. Confidence and patience are also keys to success. Fishing pressure can certainly make it tougher for topwater plug tossers, but when you are after big fish (teeners), there is no better bait than a surface plug like the giant woodchopper.

I remember a trip last season where I caught only two small fish on the first half day. My partner caught 7 small fish on his soft-plastic and minnow plugs and that "pattern" looked promising. But I stuck with my topwater and had the two best back to back days ever with 29 peacock over 10 pounds. The water then came up fast and blew out my fishing, but for the week, I had more fish over 10 pounds than any of the 19 other anglers in the two camps (an hour and one-half apart) on that river.

All the others anglers were using a variety of baits such as Yozuri minnows, jigs, Banjos, small Zaras, etc. and they caught about half of the number of ten-plus-pounders that I lucked into. But the one guy that had almost as many as I (amassing about five 10-plus pounders a day on a more consistent basis) was primarily throwing and catching his big fish on topwater plugs also.

Now I am sure that a few of those anglers caught more fish that I did, particularly on the final 3 days when the topwater bite was extremely slow for me. But I prefer to catch "teeners" (peacock bass over 13 pounds) and focus on them. And in general, topwaters are a good way to achieve success on the giants. Have patience if that is your confidence bait. If someone gets on a stronger (more productive) pattern with another lure on the size of fish you want to catch however, be willing to change also. While I have been fortunate enough to catch 20-pound peacock on all types of lures, still over 90 percent of them have come on topwater baits.

Keep the faith.

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Steve Townson
Larry,
I have to agree with you 100% that big topwaters 'in general' pull in bigger fish, but when they're not on the bite, they're just not on.
And when these fish have got used to the sound of a big Woodchopper or Ripper prop bait doing its thing and then someone tries a Riproller or Skitterpopper with a different tone, that can often make the difference between a great trip and an average trip.
You and I have talked before also about how these big baits can often scare Peacocks, especially in skinny water. I outfished everyone on my best trip ever on the Unini a frew years ago, with jigs, minnows and poppers, with loads of fish to 22#, best day 255 fish, when we literally saw Peacocks fleeing away just from the shadow of bigger baits passing over or near them. We tried the more subtle baits and slew 'em. I reckon Alan Z can add more to this subject?
Steve Townson

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:20 am Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
Steve,

I have always said (from my first book on peacocks in fact) that jigs will almost always catch more peacock bass than any other lure type. They will also catch giant fish (even I have caught a 20-plus on a jig), but I play the percentages when I fish peacocks since I am only interested in "teeners". I have seen days when the topwater bite was not on and do switch to the submergent baits or a smaller walking-type surface plug. I also throw some of the other smaller or lighter stuff to "relax" or take a break, since working a chopper 8 or 10 hours can be tiresome to an old man like me. Laughing

Besides, when I'm throwing the big stuff, you can more easily come in to the same lagoon behind me and still catch a bunch that were afraid to explode on my giant plug at the surface. Laughing

Have fun and best of luck in your upcoming tournament!

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:18 am Reply with quote
Steve Townson
Good points Larry.
Yes, I hope the next World Championship Peacock Bass Tournament will be as much a success as last year. It has gained momentum so much now and Don and Kdu have done alot of work to get this going.
The Unini will be a great venue for the 2nd tournament as the fish there are generally huge and hopefully we should all get stuck into a few.
I know and you know, the next world record will come from that river one day. Hopefully in September during the competition!!
Steve Townson
Topwater Fishermen 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle