PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » Best spinning reel for peacocks Goto page 1, 2  Next
Best spinning reel for peacocks 
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:20 am Reply with quote
Greg Thompson
Site Admin
Fellow member Bill Alexander has ask me for suggestions on the best spinning reel for PB's. I would like some input from the members please.

Thanks,

Greg

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Lance Rollins
I don't see how you can beat the Shimano Stradic, I use the 2500 which is probably considered too small by many PB fisherman but.........I've landed several fish over 12 lbs with no problem.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:44 am Reply with quote
Steve Townson
Lance,
I've had several fish in the 20#s and loads of high teeners on various Daiwas 2500. They hold loads of line and are strong enough for the job. I've even gone down to a 1500 and did well too.
Steve Townson

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Rick Klotz
I've had good luck with Pluegers - Medalist and President - for jigs and smaller plugs The Browning Citori did not hold up so well.
Spinning Reels for PB's 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:04 am Reply with quote
Greg Thompson
Site Admin
Rick,

I used the Pflueger President baitcaster and liked it real well. The reels you suggest have only speeds as high as 5.2. Am I looking at the wrong ones?

Greg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:15 am Reply with quote
Rick Klotz
Greg:

My mistake, I did take a Medalist last trip, but the other wasn't a President, it was an older model called a Summit. I've been using it for a few years for light salt water. It's got a really good drag and built solid. You're right that the retrieve speed is not as high as others, but I look at the inches of line per crank as more important. It's over 30" per crank.

I just bought the new Supreme 6040 to take down next time. It's 6.2:1 with 10 BB's - very smooth. It should be ideal for working the jigs, banjo's and smaller minnow baits. And $20 off to boot with a couple coupons :) .

Cheers
Spinning reel 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:20 am Reply with quote
Greg Thompson
Site Admin
Rick,

Thanks for the info. I will look at that model as soon as I can get to Cabela's or Bass Pro.

Greg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:53 am Reply with quote
Rick Klotz
Greg:

I also meant to tell you I took a President baitcast, high speed, wide spool with me the last trip and it worked well for rippin' the High Rollers. I'll be taking the same one back this year.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:04 pm Reply with quote
neal m brown
while i don't have a recommendation for a spin reel, i can recommend re thinking using one. i am from boston where spin fishing is the norm, particularly in the salt. i can tell you that i never cast a cnnventional reel until i began fishing for peacock bass some 4 years ago. i now use a conventional reel here in boston for stripers and blues. while a spin rod isl less problematic, what you gain in ease, you lose in accuracy-big time. and that is a big deal in the mangroves of the amazon. and, it's not as difficult to learn as most people think. sure you'll have your share of backlashes, but the guides will make short work of them as will you. i also think that one can get more distance with a conventional reel. but the accuracy is such a huge advantage that it makes the use of spin gear second rate-in my opinion. not to be offensive, but really think it through.
Reels for PB's 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Greg Thompson
Site Admin
Neal,

I have to agree with you in most cases, but using a 1/2 oz jig is a lot easier to throw on a spin caster. I caught a 20# on one last year on 30# test line. I use the Shimano 200 DHSV for the majority of my PB fishing. I would recommend this reel to every PB fisherman!!!!

Greg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Dink Alston
Guys,

If you have one of the newer Pflueger Presidents, I would take a close look at it. I took one down with me last November and had a fit with it. The working mechanisms are as smooth as silk, but the frame is so weak it will turn on you. The stem coming from the reel seat to the reel frame will twist as much as 30 degrees in both directions, depending on which side the take up roller of the bail is on. I caught fish up to 19 lbs. on it, but it was a miracle I landed them. Grab the reel in one hand, the reel seat in the other and see if it will twist. I was at Bass Pro last week and every President I checked would turn dramatically. Non of the other quality reels would move. Even the other Pflueger models would not do it. Probably not a problem for largemouth, but hard pullers like peacocks twisted it so bad I thought it might break sometimes.

I'm not a big spinning reel guy, but I was impressed at how the Stradics that Don Cutter used in his operation worked out. Guys were catching 20 pounders on them........

Dink

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Bobby W. Foster
As far as spinning reels goes I have to say, I can't stand them. Greg can attest to my displeasure with using them and I did try them for a while and put up with the laughs and snickers from JoJo that morning. I just down sized my line to 40# braid and used a high speed baitcaster for my jig chunking. I don't think there is any comparision when it comes to accuracy when casting for distance with the baitcaster. I love making those long cast with the big topwaters to the back of an inlet or the middle of a group of trees. I did see the spinning reels work ok for some at close quarters or casting short distances at shore lines, just not me. I am a little prejudiced when it comes to baitcasters since I have been fishing them for nearly fifty years. In the end you have to fish with what you feel is comfortable and works best for you.

Bobby Foster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Rick Klotz
Dink:

Are you talking about a Pflueger President spinning reel?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Dink Alston
Rick,

Yes, the Pflueger President spinning reel. If the reel is mounted in the reel seat of your rod, grab the body of the reel and try to twist it to either side. All the ones I've checked would easily turn about 30 degrees either way. This was the only reel other than the real cheap ones that would do that.

Dink

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Rick Klotz
Dink:

Thanks. I thought as much. Never used the President spimming reel, but I've had the President casting reel and no problems so far. You might want to check the new Pfueger Supreme. About twice as much as the President, but a good reel for the money versus other $100 reels.
Best spinning reel for peacocks 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle