PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » Changes in Peacock tactics
Changes in Peacock tactics 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:09 am Reply with quote
Greg Thompson
Site Admin
I notice that this year across the whole system subtle baits (Jigs, Yozuri's Banjo's) are more productive. Why is this? I would like Forum Member thoughts before I give mine. One thing I did notice this year is the water temperature is cooler. Big number of small fish are being boated this year and 20+#'s too. A positive result of high water the last 2 years? Looks like sport fish catch and release is not hurting the system at all!

Greg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Dink Alston
Greg,

Do you think it might be that more people are turning to the jigs, banjo's, and yozuri's now than in the past? They may have been more productive all along, but everyone wanted to fish for that exciting topwater strike. Also, I think the guides are also helping to direct people to the other baits as their experience level with these baits rises.

Since I now know that I can catch large fish with these other lures, I'm not going to kill myself throwing the woodchoppers all day long. As with all fishing, there is a time and a place for each lure, and I think more fishermen are now recognizing this as it pertains to peacocks.

There could be other factors, such as what the water conditions the last couple of years have done to the peacocks forage opportunities. Maybe certain baitfish have proliferated more than others during this time and caused the peacocks to change their feeding patterns.........

As for the real reason they're hitting these baits more................cause they want to...... Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Bob Daly
I, for one, totally believe the giant peacocks are very smart and get use to the sound of the big woodchoper sound. I have had much better success the past few years planning my trip after the lodge was closed a week or 2 for the holidays. I was then fishing lagoons which were not recently fished. This year at Itapara my partner and I had tremendous success catching numerous large peacocks in one particular lagoon. The next day we spent a couple of hours in the same lagoon with no success on the giant woodchoppers. After making just a small change and switching over to high rollers, we started to catch peacocks again. Believe just a subtle change in sound from the woodchopper-high roller can sometimes make a big difference in success. I also agree with Dink in that more guys are becoming confident in other lures than in the past. I think that the great subjects the PBA members discuss on this forum section has a lot to do with this. For example, after reading all of the great reviews the banjo minnow got on this forum, I ordered a few and had great success on them this year at the Itapara. Without your recommendations, I am sure I would have never used them!
In a note to all active PBA members who write on this site, thanks for the great info. Hopefully our other members will post their latest recommendations to share with all PBA members. Thanks and good fishing, Bob Daly :)
Dink nailed it! 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:59 am Reply with quote
Gary Clark
Greg,
I really believe that Dink nailed it. One has to look no further than the great success of the Banjo Minnow over the past two years to find the answer. Peacocks would have ALWAYS eaten that lure, but nobody fished it. SO, just like the old adage that a fisherman will catch 90% of his fish on the lure he fishes 90% of the time, we are all fishing certain lures more now than we ever fished them before. Two other things. I do believe that there are definitely times when our favorite game fish prefers a much more subtle approach than the noisy "choppers" that we used to throw most ALL the time. Those are fish that we missed in the past that we are probably catching now. Also, what the guides now want you to throw is a VERY important factor in all of this. In the past, most of them tried to keep you on the "chopper', but now THEY have confidence in many of the other lures, and hence, anglers are going to throw them more and guess what???? BINGO! Catch more fish on jigs, jerkbaits, Banjo Minnows, etc.
All the bass,
Gary C

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Dink Alston
Bob,

Back in November on the Unini, we chopped into lagoons that I'm sure hadn't been fished since last year at least. We could not buy a hit on a woodchopper or high roller, but the jigs, yozuri's, and banjo's produced very well. It's just like any other fish, if they are not on top water at the moment, you just can't force feed them. You have to switch to something else that gets their attention. I believe one of the reasons we didn't have good success with the choppers is because most of the good fish were out in the middle of the lagoons protecting their fry. We caught most that way with the jigs and yozuri's. The choppers and banjo's didn't do well on the fry balls. When we actually found the beds with fish on them, they murdered the topwaters.

What I'm eventually getting to is that peacock fishermen are evolving the same as largemouth fishermen have. They're getting better at understanding their (peacocks) habits and life cycles, and responding with new and different techniques. The information sharing between bass fishermen is widespread through magazines, tv shows, and internet sites. As you know, peacock information is still somewhat limited and there isn't a ton of people to share with, which causes new lures and techniques to be much slower in showing up.

Thats my story and I'm stickin' to it........... :wink:
Dink, Just want to add--- 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Gary Clark
Dink,
Just want to add that many of us who have been making the trek to Brazil for many years can tell you that we are amazed that the big peacocks out in the lagoons protecting the fry are ignoring the choppers. For years, throwing a woodchoper ahead of the fry ball produced vicious strikes. The past couple of years it often took a jig, jerkbait, or Banjo Minnow to do the job---AND---more frequently than ever before NOTHING worked. Why? Only the peacocks know for sure. Truth is, the more we THINK we know, the more we really have to learn!!!
All the bass,
Gary C
Soft Baits 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Rick Swain
On my first trip in oct. 96 on the Uatuma River I pulled out a 3 -pack of 9 inch silver sluggos, all they came with was the 1 big offset hook you rig up at the head. I was on the Clipper fishing with Mike Mcgowan and our guide that day was Harold, an excellant guide then and still is. you should have seen him laugh at me when I started to tie one on, shaking his finger at me saying " No Peacock, only pirahna" we were fishing a tree line off the main river and the edges of the trees were in about 6 foot of water. I threw my sluggo up about 10 feet out from the trees and started reeling and hopping it on the surface.....Wham !!! a huge fish exploded it and started running when it instantly came loose, when I got it to the boat all that was left was the Hook and a nub of rubber, I quickly threaded on another and fired it back to the same spot, Booooom !!!! instantly when it hit the water I had on another big fish but it came loose right away but still had the bait on, wham !!! another hit and this time ended up like the first with just the nub. So guess what.....here goes my last sluggo, Intantly when it hits the water, wham !!! a miss, Wham !!!! another miss.....and Wham !!! this time drag screamed out for about 10 seconds, obviusly a huge fish but then the fate of my sluggo ended up like the first 2. what was great was the look on Harolds face like he'd just seen a ghost. then the best part was Mike looking back and shaking his finger and saying " Harold no laugh at Sluggo anymore " well next year I came up with a great rig linking a 4/0 treble to the sluggo hook and tie wrapping it snug to the body. i always take them with me and always give them a shot but just can't get them to hit it now, maybe this is the year for the Sluggo, it looks so damn good skipping and jumping on top I don't know how they can resist it, it's about the size and color of those sardinia. Maybe now with all the success with the Banjos I'll have a little more confidence to throw the Sluggo a bit more, I'm dying to catch at least 1 fish on it, 17 days will tell, Best wishes to all, Rick
Guess I'll Weigh In On This 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:26 am Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
Gentlemen,

Much of what you have said is very true in my opinion. However, I wouldn't be so quick to discard the topwater plugs. When I was down on the Unini (see my post on http://www.peacockbassassociation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=617&highlight=unini ) in November, I had two GREAT days throwing the Woodchopper and Steve Cihat's Amazon River topwater tail spinner. The water level was perfect for those two days and I caught 11 over 10 pounds the first day and 18 over 10 pounds the second day. That's 29 over 10 pounds in two days! The other 19 anglers at the two Unini houseboats averaged 19 or 20 fish over 10 pounds in 6 1/2 days that week. On my two "lucky" days, I fished with Andy Rockwell who many of you know, and he tossed his fare of banjos, jigs and minnow baits at the same time and they produced little. He had an elbow problem and couldn't toss the chopper, plus he had cleaned house on big peacock in that area on a trip one month earlier fishing the Banjos (see a Forum Post from Gary Clark on that).

The water came up 5 to 6 feet from day two to the last day and my daily big fish catches tanked with the higher water the last four days, but everyone was having some difficulities. One other person in our camp did very well that week and he caught many of his over 10s on the Woodchpper as well. Others in our group and the one downstream had fairly good trips but I didn't hear of any tallies close to ours. They were all fishing a variety of other (submerged) lures.

Regarding the fry balls, my partner and I threw Banjos, jigs, yozuris and topwater at four or five that week. The only lure that produced for us was the giant surface plug. I tossed in to a ball while Andy laid a Banjo on the other side and the teener hit my chopper. My partner threw his soft plastic minnow bait and jigs repeatedly to the area while I battled my fish to the boat and the guide then unhooked it. I then tossed my chopper back to the area and yes, hooked up with (and landed) the second giant fish on that cast. Lucky me.

The guides are becoming much more familar with other baits now and are "pushing" them much of the time. Some times, the suggestions are great and sometimes the angler has the better idea. I do use a variety of baits and have caught 20 pounders on Banjos, minnow baits, spoons and rattling plugs. But I have caught more on the giant surface tail spinner plugs.

Not all conditions are good for topwater bait bites. In high waters or rising waters, they are not productive. In low waters, but not too low, they are great baits. Know when to hold and know when to fold them, as they say. Sure, listen to your guide and the others in camp, especially if you are inexperienced or not catching as many fish as the others. But don't believe one bait will catch all the fish all the time.

Analyzing the water conditions to determine the optimal bait (many will work) will allow you to have a "lucky" day or three.

I am not yet ready to give the topwaters up and suggest you also keep them in your arsenal. You might get lucky too. :wink:

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com
Changes in Peacock tactics 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle