PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » ABU-GARCIA REEL
ABU-GARCIA REEL 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:52 am Reply with quote
Just finished going thru most past entries for reels.

Has anyone out there used the new Abu-Garcia (Revo STX-HS or Revo SX-HS) they are both 7.1:1 and recover 31 inches per turn? The line capacity is listed at 12/140 so if my math is correct, if she's loaded with 80 lb braid that would give ya 93 yds to fight the gorillas of the jungle. I'm interested in hearing from someone who has used either under peacock conditions.
Ed 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:11 am Reply with quote
Rick Grover
We have been selling lots of the new "Revo" reels at our store. The customers buying them have been very happy. Personally My group was the first last year to use the Quantum Burner 7:1 and it has performed flawlessly on all trips. Great drags and 11bb is hard to beat. Rick Grover.
A Great Bass (Largemoth) Reel 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
Hi Ed,

I tried the STX Revo (6.4:1 ratio) in the Amazon in Sept. and it is a sweet reel. Its capacity is listed at 140 yards of 12 # test. but I don't believe that it holds enough line for my use on peacocks. I spooled it with 80 pound Power Pro, and I could cast it down to the spool (almost) each time. Not enough line left for a strong run by a 20 pounder, in my opinion. I have relegated it to be a largemouth bass reel, for which it is perfect.

You might find it useful for tossing jigs on 50-pound test; it may have sufficient capacity for that purpose.

Last edited by Larry Larsen on Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com
Abu Garcia Record 50 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:34 am Reply with quote
Dave Caywood
I have replaced all of my Abu Garcia 5600’s with the new Abu Garcia Record 50. It holds more than enough line and an all metal set of gears has proven itself well. They cost $129. One thing to warn you about. This is one smooth reel. The first time I launched a woodchopper off the bow it was headed for the trees! I use 60# Power Pro and have never seen the spool sense. Of the six that I supply to clients three have brought in 20# fish to the boat. The ratio is 6.3:1. Maybe they will go on sale after the holidays.
ABU-GARCIA REEL 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle