PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Water & Weather Conditions » Water Levels Goto page 1, 2  Next
Water Levels 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:58 am Reply with quote
Bobby W. Foster
PBA Moderator
Any reports on water conditions this past week from any of you who have returned or any who are going down this week. Setting here sweating it out till it's my turn to leave. Good luck to all,

Bobby Foster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:08 pm Reply with quote
neal m brown
leaving next week. heeeelllp!!!! desperate for a report.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:27 am Reply with quote
Don Cutter
I just heard from the manager at our camp on the Unini River. The rains have let up and the sun is shining. The water levels has begun to stabalize, andhe reported that last night the water level dropped about 2" - that't not much, but it could signal the beginning of a decline. The weather system that has been hanging over the Rio Negro and its tributaries seems to have moved to the south of Manaus. Maybe there are good things to happen yet this fishing season. We hope so.
Don

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Sean Wood
PBA Moderator
Don,
I have a question. With all the crazy weather over the past couple of years
does it seem that the fishing year could start earlier over the next couple of years. Could we be scrambling to fish in say june or july instead of Jan. or Feb?
Sean

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Don Cutter
Sean,
I think that is a real possibility. With the shifting weather patterns, it does seem that the low water conditions are occurring earlier over the past 2-3 years. The Madeira system is good in mid-late summer. The Unini was ready in early September this season (probably could have been fished in August) when the conventional wisdon was that the Unini is best in January. It will interesting to see if the water drops again shortly signaling the special December "rainey" season or if the levels continue to rise signalling the continuation of the begining of the new rainey season. I hope that the former is true - rather than the latter - but I am encouraging my clients to book much earlier next season to assure that their trip is not washed out as has been the case in the past years.

What do some of the rest of the forum members think?
Don
Rio Negro Levels 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Rick Swain
The last 2 years up on the Negro were totaly differant. First week in Jan 2 years ago water was great, maybe a little high for the lagoons but out on the sandbars fishing was great. Last year same week you couldn't find a sandbar and the lagoons were flooded, really tough for everybody up there. What are we seeing so far this year, high ? Low ? If I have a preferance I'd always take lower than avg. over higher......Yeah! .....Like we have a choice. Unfortunatly at the time of booking nobody has a clue on what your gonna get, kinda like a box of chocolates....right ????? I'll be headed for the Negro the second week of Feb, Can't wait. My friend Tony is going back with me again this year. As tough as it was I spotted some bubbles for him and the gentleman that I am proceded to put him on a 22.5 pound speckled beauty. His Ron Kelly Replica is now in his family room. At that time he had bested" my "best in 13 trips until the last afternoon when I got my new best of 24 pounds......Whew !!!!! I never would of lived that one down. LOL !! So anyway all reports of Negro levels are welcome, if there is any. Hope we all get good levels this year and a new personal best, That's my Christmas wish for everyone, Take are and have a safe Holiday week, Rick

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:39 am Reply with quote
Bobby W. Foster
PBA Moderator
I have been checking the weather forcast for Manaus for the last couple months via the Weather Channel and I don't remember seeing a daily forcast that didnot have a 60% chance of rain. Some days there were not a cloud in the sky but the 60% chance was still there. Is this common practice for this part of the world. Does anyone have any info to add about water condition this week. Don't guess anyone will be down next week for fishing but I will be leaving on the 28th. Happy Holidays to all and good luck to the up coming trips.

Bobby Foster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Bob Daly
Bobby: Went on the Rio Negro Lodge website and they said the water level is coming down at a good pace and fishing is getting better by the day! For the week of 12/15/06 Rio Negro fisherman landed a total of 1460 peacocks of which 66 were 10lbs or better and 1 20lbs or better. During the week of 12/8 the anglers boated 1164 with 9 over 20lbs according to the lodge's website news.
I noticed the same as you regarding the weather for Manaus and Barcelos. Also around a 60% chance of rain. everyday??
Good luck on your trip. I am heading to Itapara Jan 3. Heard the water was high a few weeks ago, but coming down. Fishing was said to be good.
Bob Daly 8)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:09 am Reply with quote
Bobby W. Foster
PBA Moderator
Thanks for the info Bob, hope the water continues to drop and you have a good trip also. Happy Holidays,

Bobby Foster

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Steve Townson
Bob,
We left as the levels started to drop 12 days ago. Recent reports since are Itapara and all around is dropping well. All should be good beginning Jan. Heading out 3rd too.
Steve
A CHRISTMAS GIFT 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:17 am Reply with quote
Don Cutter
The reports on Water Levels on the Unini River continue to improve. We are now experiencing a daily drop in water levels. If this continues, the conditions should be near perfect when we resume trips at the end of the month. Wouldn't that be a great Christmas Gift to all of us from Mother Nature?

Let me add my best wishes to all for a great holiday season and for super fishing in the coming weeks. Thank you all for your participation and wisdom freely given on this forum. It is that spirit of cooperation that makes this sport fun, and it is that openness that creates great friendships - and I am particulary blessed with great friends in this business.

Don Cutter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 7:57 am Reply with quote
neal m brown
just got back from the itapera with river plate/fishquest (10-20 miles north of santa maria). the fishing was exellent (8 anglers, 3 of whom sat out for a day and didn't fish- 1207 fish, 65 over 10lbs, one 20 and one 21). the water levels were continuing to drop. however, in the areas south of santa maria the levels were rising but it was not raining thus giving rise to concern that the rio negro levels are so high that the system is backing up. hopefully it will be "drained" by the time new year's rolls around. good luck
Itapera 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Rick Swain
Neal, a question on the itapera, is that river near barcelos ? I see a santa maria on the south side of the rio negro under santa isabel but I don't see the itapera on the map ( or is it itapara ? ) I hate for anyone to be dealing with high water up on the negro but if the itapera feeds into the negro and you feel the water levels there are up then wouldn't the itapera also be rising ? I'm confused. Also would you feel then that the fishing up on the Negro would not be good until later in Jan or Feb when the water would be lower ? Thanks for the report....Rick

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Steve Townson
Rick,
The Tapera (or Itapera) is a trib. of the Branco which flows into the Negro. Santa Maria de BoiaƧu (sp) is on the Branco at the meeting point of the Tapera. I understand that now, rivers further North are draining into the Negro, which accounts for the higher level of the Negro itself. The Xeriuini and Tapera are both dropping quickly,and I believe rivers off the Negro are also now lowering to respectable levels. Don would have a more accurate account to tell.
Hope all pans out for Jan. 2006 for us all.
Steve Townson

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Rick Swain
Thanks Steve, I sure hope you meant Jan 2007, LoL. So when is your next trip ? have a merry christmas, Rick......P.S. so what is your personal best Steve ? a good story behind it, where, when, what bait , etc.......thanks again
Water Levels 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Water & Weather Conditions