PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » Question on the Banjo Minnow
Question on the Banjo Minnow 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Bob Daly
For my upcoming peacock trip, I purchased some banjo minnows as recommended by the PBA members. I have never used the banjo minnow before. Do you get lots of cutoffs from piranhas, or are you using a wire leader when using the minnow? Thanks, Bob

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Dink Alston
Bob,

Like any other bait, the piranhas will hit it if you let it go deep. My best luck with it was fishing it about 4-6" below the surface moving it erratically as fast as I could and still keep it below the surface. If you have the older style Banjos with the corkscrew, try to keep the corkscrew located right in the middle of the bend of the hook by using the o rings tight against it. This made it run the best for me. When the o rings would slide away it would start jumping and wouldn't stay under the surface. The new style doesn't use the corkscrew and didn't work as well in my opinion.

I threw it on my spinning rod with 30lb Power Pro and caught fish to 19lbs on it. No special leader or anything. One thing I would suggest is to get some of the lead nails that bass fishermen use to insert in sluggo's and similar baits. This will help keep it down so you can move it quickly without it breaking the surface. I just didn't have the success when it skittered on the surface.

Make sure you have a red marker and give it a red tail and a red chin. (We only used the pearl white ones and marked them ourselves). I don't really know how the factory colors will work.

One thing I figured out was not to throw it very close to the shoreline. Thats when the piranha and the dogfish would tear it up. Some of my best fish came in the middle of the lagoons and "creeks" (for lack of a better word).

Good Luck,

Dink
Question on the Banjo Minnow 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle