PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Field Reports & Fish Info » Amazon Cutter - Unini River Report November 10-16
Nice, detailed report. 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:23 am Reply with quote
Gary Clark
Gary, Very nice detailed report. Did everyone in the group stay on the Cutter? With the amount of rain you had, it would be good to remind everyone on upcoming trips to remember their lightweight rain suits. Interesting thing about the fry balls. When we were there in mid-October we had no success with them whatsoever. First time I have experienced that Mama and Papa wanted no part of the action. Leave again on November 30th and can't wait!
All the bass,
Gary C
Unini 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Greg Thompson
Site Admin
Dr,

Nice detail on your post but what were the water levels?

Greg
Nice Report 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
Hi Gary,

Enjoyed meeting your group of guys, including Dink and Charles, and reading your comprehensive report post.

Our group included two guys that had never fished for peacock or even largemouth bass before, but the other 3 had experienced 10 to 18 trips after peacock bass; I was on my 66th trip after peacock. Actually our fishing aboard the Explorer was a little better than yours. Our group of six caught 22.8 peacocks over 10 pounds per person average compared to your group's 19.5 peacocks over 10 pounds (but who is counting). Our 80-year old angler who seemed a little feeble to you, actually could work the woodchopper with the best and caught the two 20-pounders! But his fish weren't the largest fish taken. Our group's two biggest fish both caught on Rat-L-Traps I believe weighed 160 and 200 pounds! We had rain six days, but on day two, I was able to set my personal best day for number of "teeners" (13-19 pounds) caught. As always, my log has been updated and posted on this website at http://www.peacockbassassociation.com/html/larry_peacock_bass_log.html. It was a very good week for all.

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com
Great reports 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Rick Grover
Thats what makes this site the best. Good or bad, we just want the straight scoop. Gary/Larry is JoJo still at camp? That guide is the best in Brazil in my opinion. Rick G.
Hey Larry! 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Gary Clark
Hey Larry! Glad you had a great trip. What were the best lures and colors? Thanks much!
All the bass,
Gary C

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Dink Alston
Gary, I can't figure out how you typed such a lengthy report so soon. My hands have so many blisters and cuts I can't hardly work the keyboard.

Soon as I'm able to straighten my fingers, I'll expound a little on your report Laughing

Dink
Try Gloves Dink! 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:16 am Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
Hi Dink,

Hope you take a pair of golf gloves down with you next time. That should remedy your sore hands.

Gary, Regarding top lures at our camp on the upper river location. The Woodchopper in black/orange and Clown, the Zara Spook and Yozuri topwater plugs in bone and red & white, and the Yozuri divers (color unknown) were top lures for most of the anglers.

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:36 am Reply with quote
Dink Alston
The hands are working quite a bit better this morning.

Boy what a great trip. The fishing on the Unini was just about as good as it gets. I only ended up with 19# being my largest, but I had 3 or 4 that I believe were 20# or better that pulled off my woodchopper right at the boat :cry: The fish I had hitting my topwaters tended to slap the plug rather than eating it and would be hooked in the side of the head and the big ones come unstuck many times. Like spawning fish protecting their bed.

I was one of the fishermen who looked upon the Banjo Minnow as kind of a joke lure. I didn't even take any with me. The third full day of fishing I was with Jojo (the guide) who insisted on me taking some Banjos. I bought a pack from the camp without much enthusiasm, but wanted to keep my guide happy. After a 19#, 18#, and a 16# in a 30 minute time frame I suddenly became a convert. It actually became my go to bait for the rest of the trip. What I did find was that it worked its best on big fish in clean, black water. In the off color water it didn't produce as well and the fish tended to be smaller. The trick was to work it as fast as possible while still keeping it under the surface. If it broke the surface too often, it didn't produce as well. It also didn't produce at all on the fryballs. I think jigs and yozuri's are the ticket for those. Another thing was to make sure you colored it up with a red tail. When I didn't have a red marker, I used orange or chartreuse and didn't have the production I did with red. I also used some of the new models that Charles Hammontree had with him that didn't work for me like the old style with the corkscrew on the hook did. They didn't seem to have the erratic action that the old ones did.

The one thing I will recommend to everyone is to take plenty of 30# PowerPro line with you. The rods and reels that Don had in camp were of very high quality, but were all spooled with 80# braid. This made fishing the jigs, banjo minnows, and yozuri's extremely tough for some of the fishermen. You need to take enough to respool once or twice during the trip. Even if you take your own equipment as I did, you still need to make sure you have enough 30# to respool in case of a bad backlash or break off. This really made a difference when trying to cast a jig a long way to reach past the fryballs. If you couldn't cast past them, or waited until you got close enough to reach them with a short cast you generally ruined your shot at them.

For me, the old reliable black w/orange belly Woodchopper Slim and the High Roller in the same color worked best for the topwater bite. The guides were pushing the clown color or the halloween High Roller, but I still had better luck with the black and orange. For some reason, anything chartreuse, like a firetiger, didn't produce much at all for me. The washouts and points of the sandbars were prime for the topwater action.

On another note, I talked with some of the anglers from other operations and seems like everyone had a good trip. One guy from the Rio Negro Lodge and they had quite a few 20's with a 23 as the largest.

Dink

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:44 am Reply with quote
Steve Townson
Dink,
Did you try Charles' newer Pavon Props? He sent me a bunch to use this next trip. They now only have two hooks instead of the usual three and as the lure is slimmer and smaller than the woodchoppers, (yet just as effective!), I found the larger fish got hooked inside the mouth, engulfing the lure sideway, instead of the often-seen cheek/face hook-up. Any news on the three-piece, light/short baitcaster?
Steve

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Dink Alston
Hey Steve,

I saw Charles plugs, but never threw one myself. The day I fished with him he threw it very seldom. He threw a jig pretty much everywhere.

But yes, they looked very good. I think I lost 2 or 3- 20#ers because of the face, cheek hookup during the week. Very, very few of the topwater fish I caught were hooked in the mouth.

I'll send you an email about the rod......

Dink
Amazon Cutter - Unini River Report November 10-16 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Field Reports & Fish Info