PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Forum Catch-All » Favorite Time of the Year
Favorite Time of the Year 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Robyn Tassio
This is my favorite time of the Peacock Bass season - the beginning - with all the daydreams and anticipation of seeing monster top water explosions plus catching up with old, as well as meeting new, fishing buddies.

I spend a lot of days thinking about the previous trips I've taken to the Amazon, the big fish I've successfully hooked and landed (26lb personal best) as well as those BIGGER peacocks that I've hooked and lost, many right at the edge of the boat.

I look over my check list of lures and put a mark by the ones I've caught big fish with and circle the baits I've had taken away from me by those Peacocks that were surely over 30lbs.

Looking back…My first 20lb peacock came on a gold glitter peacock minnow and since that trip, I've caught numerous 18lb+ peacocks on various colored peacock minnows. Then as the years progressed and trips began to blur, I admit I went more for the top water baits, first was the Luhr Jensen Wood Chopper then went on to the lighter top waters like HighRoller RipRollers and then the Poe's Timber Turbine. I think the reason why the last two baits do so well is the distinctive sound their prop makes as it's retrieved across the water. With the top water baits you can anticipate the big explosions we all love to see and I’ve been fortunate to hook and land a handful of 20lb+ peacocks but my biggest to date is a 26lb peacock.

Sometimes the top water bite would be slow and when that was the case, I would down size my bait and slow down the presentation. I normally would switch to a salt water Spook XT or Borboleta Perversa while going to a jig or Yo-Zuri crystal minnow for a more subtle, sub-surface presentation when necessary.

The first time I took this 'Trip of a Lifetime' back in Dec 2000, my wife and I were sold so many lures (about $1,000 worth) that we didn't really need or even use. After returning from that trip, I was very upset that some tackle dealers would tell us 'we really need to have this lure and that lure, etc.' and then have our guides laugh at all the different lures we had.

So, when you are planning your trip and it's time to sit down and figure what lures/tackle/line/accessories you really need to take with you, here is what I tell my customers:

Remember you are in the middle of the jungle so if a fish takes your favorite or most productive lure from you on day 2, what one lure are you are going to want to tie on? Probably the same one you just lost!

You're probably safe having 2 of your favorite baits (type/color), but it’s not necessary to have 5 or 6 of the same exact kind. Decide on 2 or 3 different color top waters (1 or 2 colors for bright sunny days and 1 or 2 for cloudy days). Take some sort of sub-surface baits. All the lures come with the correct hooks and split rings so you don't need to "beef up" these lures, if your location doesn't supply line, use an 80lb braid for top water lure presentations and you can usually get away with 65lb for sub-surface lures and jigs, especially if using a spinning reel.

If you could only take 10 lures TOTAL with you to fish for Peacock Bass in the Amazon, what lures (brand/size/color) would be in YOUR tackle box?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:16 pm Reply with quote
John Ducksbury
Great post Robyn - but that last question seems to be purely taunt the tackle rats like me.

I've not done nearly as many trips as many people here. (Two trips in for 4 weeks fishing total)

If I had to choose only 10 lures... Oh geeze... I couldn't do it. Half the fun is throwing something different or experimental for me. I also like taking timber stuff that friends of mine in Australia produce and trying to get some cool capture photos for them.

If I had to list the few I simply wouldn't go without... I imagine it would be not far off of a fairly generic list.
- KLures 'Chico' props.
- Heddon Super spooks (or SW spooks).
- Bomber Long 15A - Gold. Because it just catches anything, anywhere, anytime.
- Crystal Minnows
- Jigs

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Forum Catch-All