PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Destinations & Habitats » BKK Fishing Tour (Bangkok, Thailand)
BKK Fishing Tour (Bangkok, Thailand) 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:00 pm Reply with quote
John Ducksbury
Last month I attended a friends wedding in Phuket, Thailand. Thailand was chosen as a cost effective place for the couples friends from the UK and Australia (and turns out, all kinds of other places) to meet on neutral turf.

So naturally once I was committed to being in the country, I started looking at some fishing options.
On first glance, fishing Thailand appears to be all predator ponds and carp. Even the native fish seem to be most often targeted in pay per session type ponds.
To be honest, if that was all I found I probably would have spent a day at a pond for giggles just trying to nail numbers of different species.

But looking a little further I came across John from http://www.bkkfishingtour.com/
Now, the ponds are all there and catered, but the point of difference for me is John provides all inclusive packages to suit what you want to do. And in my case I'd rather cast all day for half a dozen wild fish than spend all day in a hut with baits in a pond. And I expect most peacock aficionados would agree.

In the end I spent 4 days wild toman (giant snakehead) fishing with John and skipped the ponds altogether. (They were a back of the mind back up plan if we just couldn't find fish.)

After a very tough first day, the fish came with good regularity for the other 3 days after a change of location.

The 2 best fish were 13 and 8+ pound, which while they aren't in record contention can be considered a pretty solid effort for someone who has never chased them before.

John does all the driving, one on one coaching, and is an all around great host.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:19 am Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
John,

I understand that there are a few small peacocks in Thailand but I know that much of their fishing for most species is in man-dug square ponds. The ponds that I viewed from the highway were usually very muddy. Glad that you found some "wild" waters and a guide that would let you cast lures to the fish. I was there a few years back but didn't get to fish. Loved the islands, small mountains and national parks.

The snakehead is an "exotic" for us that is sometimes caught in South FL. Our fishery people want to eliminate the undesireable species that were transplanted from aquarium owners when the fish outgrew their tanks and now are a nuisance in our freshwaters. Its always fun though to catch a "new" (to the angler) species in an exotic place.

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:33 pm Reply with quote
John Ducksbury
Larry - I caught my first (much smaller bullseye) snakehead in Miami on my way home from Brazil last year. The giant snakehead is definitely a more powerful, heavier set fish.

From chatting with 'BKKGUY' and a few other people. It seems like peacocks haven't really taken off in Thailand. There are a few ponds that have a few but they aren't a priority. Those ponds that previously stocked peacocks have largely ended up (over) stocking with large catfish and arapaima and such that the peacocks aren't thriving. (I suspect the fact that they are very muddy impacts their ability to stock and successfully fish peacocks too, and the peacock breeding ability)
Around Asia it seems like Singapore really LOVE peacocks and have some properly maintained peacock fishing ponds and such. Although still pond fishing ......

Those FL canals are an interesting fishery. I've managed to fish them twice now when I was able to sneak a day in on my way in transit. They are certainly an interesting place to catch a bunch of species! I missed out on landing a jaguar though. That was up there on my list.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Bob Daly
Having had the opportunity to fish Thailand numerous times, I found BKK John to be at the top of my list for gudes. John: Not sure if you had the chance to cast for barramundi but I highly recommend talking with John and do it next time. A few places are starting to get some South America species such as peacock bass and golden dorado. I see know reason as to why these species should not get huge unless overpopulated/overfished. Thailand is a great place where many of the species cannot be caught in the wild such as the Mekong Cat. Give it a try and I guarantee you will return! Cool

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 12:43 am Reply with quote
John Ducksbury
Bob, I opted not to fish the barra ponds. I can do that much cheaper closer to home at a few barramundi parks/farms (or preferably 'wild'). Although some of the numbers of big fish they pull in a session/day makes my arms hurt thinking about it.
I definitely am intrigued by some of the predator ponds that allow lure casting - that might be used to break up the hardcore wild fishing if there is ever a next time.
I've seen John has now (very recently) started offering wild goonch catfish and mahseer trips.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 1:43 am Reply with quote
John Ducksbury
Hey Bob - that reminds me.
I think I might have been fishing with your old Curado 300.
It was apparently donated by an American customer who had upgraded his peacock reels, and thought John should have a RH wind overhead available. Came in very handy for me. Wink

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Bob Daly
Hey John: NO problem on the reel. Figured so much on the barras. Have you had to opportunity to fish Papua New Guinea for the black bass and barras? Was there a few years ago and great time. Just had a friend who was fishing goonch and mahseer in Indian near Nepal. I hope to do that trip soon. Just got back from Lau Lau in Suriname. If you like casting try golden dorado at La Zona!

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 6:54 pm Reply with quote
John Ducksbury
PNG is definitely high up the list.
I was seriously considering doing it this year, but I've booked another trip in to Brazil so it will have to wait.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Bob Daly
John: Write me at doradokiller@hotmail.com and will tell you all about PNG.
BKK Fishing Tour (Bangkok, Thailand) 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Destinations & Habitats