PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Forum Catch-All » What was your biggest peacock caught on?

What was your biggest peacock caught on?
1. Topwater prop bait (i.e. woodchopper, highroller, pavon prop, etc.)
50%
 50%  [ 5 ]
2. Topwater stick bait (i.e. zara spook, etc.)
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
3. Big subsurface jerkbait (i.e. peacock minnow, long-a, etc.)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
4. Small subsurface jerkbait (i.e. yo-zuri, etc)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
5. Casting jig
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
6. Trolling jig
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
7. Other
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 10

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Robyn Tassio
I've been to the Rio Negro almost 30 times since my first Peacock Bass fishing trip in Dec 2000. Since that first trip, many changes have occurred in both outfitters and lures. In the beginning, the most popular lures were the top water prop baits (i.e. woodchopper, etc) followed by subsurface jerk baits (i.e. peacock minnow, long-a, etc). As time went on, lure preferences changed, top water prop baits remained king, along came the top water stick baits (i.e. spooks, etc) and other subsurface jerk baits (i.e. yo-zuri, etc). Soon a new unexpected bait came along, the jig (casting or trolling), the jig seems to be a current mainstay claiming it's place along with the top water and jerkbaits.

Looking back over the years, a lot of big peacocks have been hooked and landed and chances are the majority have been landed with one of the lure types mentioned below.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:18 am Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
Robyn,

Great Poll question! Thanks for posting it. Just a couple of comments on the survey. Can you define the difference between big and small jerkbaits i.e. a 5 1/2" jerkbait with two 7X strong trebles and a 6" jerkbait with weaker hooks. You may want to consider adding "flies" to the "Trolling jig" option, such as "trolling jig/fly". Guides sometimes call flies "jigs" and weights of each may vary only slightly in some cases. Lead eyes on flies and weights in front of them can make them seem like a jig. Our fly fishermen may want a separate "fly" option.

I hope our members take this poll. In your 30 trips and through your tackle sales experience, you should have a pretty good idea what the final results will look like. It might be a little different if you look at just 20-pound plus peacocks.

Four lure types that are not on your option list and that I've have caught 20 pound plus fish on are Spoons (Tony Acceta PET), Soft Plastic Jerkbaits (Banjo Minnow), Billed Crankbaits (Lindy Big M), and Vibrating Plugs (Super Trap). Of them all, Spoons were probably the most popular but never close to topwater prop baits or big subsurface jerkbaits (hard plastic minnow baits). The spoons were the most popular in the early to mid-90's with Brazilian anglers and were probably the third most popular lure type then with American anglers fishing for peacocks in Venezuela and Brazil. Today, all four are fairly low on the angler "popularity" list... but they still work!

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com
biggest peacocks 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Bob Daly
My biggest peacocks were caught in 2001 on the Rio Unini on a clown woodchopper. They weighed in at 23.5lbs and 22lbs and were caught in the same area a few casts apart. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:50 am Reply with quote
Rick Klotz
22 lbs on a Florida Special (silver / orange belly) color 7 " high roller.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:40 am Reply with quote
Steve Townson
25lbs on the Rio Alegria back in 2010 on a Gold Sardine Super Spook.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Dink Alston
24 lbs. on red/yellow jig
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Forum Catch-All