PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » Devcon Epoxy
Devcon Epoxy 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:44 pm Reply with quote
I've been using Devcon 5 minute epoxy to refinish some of my topwater wood lures, like Highroller Riprollers, etc. This product is pretty good if you want to apply a durable, hard clear coat on your lures without much fuss. It's inexpensive and easily purchased at most hardware stores-I buy mine at Lowes.

I inject the epoxy resins onto a piece of aluminum foil and mix well. Then, using a foam or hair brush, apply an even coat to all sides of the lure. Don't apply epoxy that is "too far" into the hardening process because your coats will be lumpy with streaks. Let hang in the garage overnight (those metal, double arm tool holders for peg boards work well).

I'm sure the wood lure manufacturers out there have much better ideas, but this is a quick, inexpensive fix. It prevents water logging of your lure, and protects the underlying paint job. There's another product I'm familiar with called Flex Coat that should work well. There are also some UV cured clear coats, but those require a UV light source.
lures 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Bob Daly
I take it one step farther than Dan. On my dorado lures, especially choppers and minnow lures, I wrap a piece of Gorilla tape around the body at its end. I then apply a coating over the Gorilla tape such as DAn mentioned. I then take a piece of shrink wrap tubing and put it over the gorilla tape. Instead of mixing the epoxy on Al foil, I just use an old piece of cardboard and mix with a popcycle stick. So far, I really think this has helped in saving a few lures which are normally destroyed in the back end of its body. For small holes in the body normally being split from pressure on the rear hook, I use a kids water color paintbrush and epoxy over the teeth holes, then apply a good paint. AFter each trip to La Zona, all my used lures are hung on a clothes line in my basement. I have a great spray can bottle of clear coat epoxy which I spray on regardless as it covers teeth scrapes, etc....I have not noticed any change in action using the gorilla tape, expoxy, shrink tape as mentinoed above. If anybody else has a great idea, please post!! Cool
Devcon Epoxy 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle