PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » Favorite line for choppers
Favorite line for choppers 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:09 am Reply with quote
Bob Daly
Guys: What is your favorite line when ripping choppers? As most know I am a strong supporter of 40lbs Trilene mono Big Game. I like a thicker, heavy line, for choppers so when it is windy the small diameter lines do not blow around the hook. You really need to jerk these lures to get it to do this but it will happen frequently. Evil or Very Mad Never had a issue casting the mono all day fishing extremely hard with little to no breaks other than eating lunch on the run.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:01 am Reply with quote
Rick Klotz
I've always used Power Pro and now Power Pro Slick. No issues other than the inherent issues with braid in general.

I haven't found wind to be as much of an issue in the jungle as open water situations just because so many places we fish are somewhat sheltered. If there is some wind, I find a harder, flat cast with a quick rod tip drop towards the water keeps the bow in the line to a minimum and off the hooks. You really have to load up the rod and have confidence in your ability to control the placement of the lure, but it works pretty well. I picked this up from watching the guides fling choppers into some incredibly tight places and under trees.

What I have learned about the braid for choppers is that it doesn't need to be as heavy as some think. I started out using 80 lb. braid which worked fine for full size choppers, but you couldn't load enough on the reel. Every cast left very little line on the reel or could cost you most of your line if there was a problem (never happens, right?). I moved down to 65 lb. and that was better with no more break offs than I had with 80lb. Now I use 50 lb. which allows me to throw the lighter, slimmer choppers and spooks well. Again, if I set the drag appropriately I've had no more break offs than using the heavier line.
Size for the fish you are chasing 
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:35 am Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
Good topic and discussion. Many of the forum visitors viewing this may not be super experienced fishing for giant peacock bass. they already think we are crazy to use what they consider too heavy a line. After all they may have caught lots of 15 or 20 pound species other than peacock bass without any problems on much lighter line.

My advice for those that may not have 10 or 15 trips to the Amazon: I agree that 90 - 95% of the time, 50 pound test braid will work, but I find it too risky to use when after the largest peacock of your life. I use Power Pro and my primary focus is on "teeners" and to add to my 20+ pound list. My rule of thumb is: For 6 to 7 inch long chopper-type lures, I use 80 pound test. For 5 1/2 inch long or shorter chopper-type plugs or any of the walking-type spook baits, I employ 65 pound test (I use the same for all submerged baits). This is a personal preference.

I have seen or heard (in camp) of too many "Murphy's law" things happen with 50-pound test and monster peacocks. I believe that someone with less experience may not have 100% positive outcomes with such a "light" line on their biggest peacock bass experience. When a newcomer with few trips after peacock bass use the outfitter-supplied rods, and in many cases their reels, stuff may happen (a 25 pounder can make some stuff happen that other fish that size wouldn't). Such rods may be worn down (used) and have "unnoticeable" problems such as their guides may not be burr-free and smooth. Reels may not have the perfect drag or a burr-free line guide, etc. Stuff just happens and those that use the lighter lines (power to them) usually have more "big fish got away" stories at the end of the day than do others.

I've caught a 20 pound peacock on 12 pound test mono, but that was when I was young and foolish in the early days of peacock adventures. I am certain though that today I could not land all 10 peacocks out of 10 hookups on such light tackle, even with my experience! No line strength will guarantee your monster peacock bass 100% of the time, but having a little reserve strength for when there is a tiny fray that goes unnoticed is comforting to me. Good luck to all.

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com
Favorite line for choppers 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle