PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » Best way to carry your tackle
Search option is valuable 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:03 am Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
Emil,

For the best checked bag, check this out. Go to the "Search" button in the header bar above and type in "G Loomis Split Bottom Cargo Bag" and then check "search for all words". One of our many past posts/replies on baggage should come up with my recommendation (and that of a few others).

You can also search for other terms to find a bunch of comment posts on baggage, packing and carry-on "do's and don'ts". If you don't have the "search" function on the forum header bar, let me know, but I believe you all do.

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com
carry on tackle 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Bob Daly
First, I remove all hooks for lures and line from reels. Carry on the plane all hookless lures and reels without line. I bought a hard reel case from Plano and use this as a second carryon--briefcase. I store the reels and camera equipment in this. Put all the lures in a box in your soft duffle carryon bag. Lastly, I have switch to all 2 piece rods as tired of hearing last minute rules regarding checked baggage length restrictions.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:53 am Reply with quote
John Ducksbury
Perfect timing that this came up.
I've been looking for a rolling bag that would fit my travel rod tubes (36" approx) since Christmas, but not too bothered about not finding it.
Then on my last 2 domestic trips - 2 broken rod tubes (checked seperately). One actually the bottom was torn completely off and the rods were held in place by the foam lining only! both times the rods survived somehow...
I've just order the G-Loomis from Amazon, to be delivered to a mates place who will bring it back to Australia for me next month!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:47 am Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
John,

You will love it and it should last for years, even with many weeks of "jungle travel/exposure"!

My G. Loomis roller bag is finally showing some signs of wear but all zippers, handles, etc. are still intack and operable after probably 60 multi-day trips worldwide and over 250 airplane rides and the associated "careful" (make that "abusive") handling during baggage transfers.

Last edited by Larry Larsen on Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total

www.larsenoutdoors.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Rick Klotz
For what it's worth. I pack as follows:

One carry on bag that is also my tackle bag for the boat. I carry all my reels, camera, medicines, passport, hat, sunglasses, reading material plus one change of fishing clothes, skivvies included. (I've been a donator of clothes when some poor unfortunate's luggage doesn't show up). I've never had an issue carrying on reels with TAM.

I also carry on a 33" rod tube made out of an old Phantom tube cut down to size with up to 5 three-piece rods. I put the tube into a folding sports chair bag that has a shoulder strap. I've always been able to carry it on out of Miami, but I've had to check it a couple times coming back from Manaus. Why? Who knows. Just make sure whatever tube you use can survive the gorillas in baggage handling. Check with your host operator though. They may have good rods for you to use so you don't need to bring any.

I check through a wheeled duffle with all of the rest of my clothes, lures, snacks, etc. That bag typically weighs about 18 kgs. The carry on's another 4-5 kgs.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:03 am Reply with quote
John Ducksbury
Got my hands on the G Loomis rolling bag this week.
Have to say I'm absolutely chuffed with the look/feel of it. Seems very well put together.
I'll have to plan some more trips to give it a work out.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:39 am Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
Hi John,

I am really glad that you like your new G. Loomis Rolling Bag. Sorry, but I'm not familiar with the word "chuffed" (My vocabulary-brilliant wife didn't even know the word). So I looked it up and see that it is a British/Australian term meaning "well pleased" (which is what I thought it might mean). :-)) :-))

I guess we yanks are not that "worldly" here but we have learned a new word and you should have many years of great use from the new bag! Work it out and let us know how you do on your fishing trips!

www.larsenoutdoors.com

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Steve Townson
Larry, "chuffed" is Brit/Aussie talk for feeling good about something, delighted, pleased with, satisfied ....... we need to get you a translator!
Steve
Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:11 pm Reply with quote
John Ducksbury
Larry - any time you need a British <> American translator on a trip in to the jungle, I'm available cheap.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:37 am Reply with quote
Steve Townson
John Ducksbury wrote:
Larry - any time you need a British <> American translator on a trip in to the jungle, I'm available cheap.

Larry, John has been fishing with me. Believe me, he's not cheap!! He cost us a fortune in beer ...........
S.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:41 am Reply with quote
John Ducksbury
Well, that's true enough that I can't in good conscience dispute it… Laughing Laughing Laughing

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle