PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Field Reports & Fish Info » Parasite bugs in the gills......
Parasite bugs in the gills...... 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Sean Wood
PBA Moderator
I just returned from a Peacock trip in Brazil. I noticed a lot of fish with some type of bug or parasite in it's mouth around it's gills. Has anyone else noticed this, and what do you think it is?

Sean

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Bobby W. Foster
Hello Sean, hope you had a good trip. I don't remember seeing any bugs of any sort in the gills were we fished. Were you on the upper Negro or one of the remote camp areas. I am sure some one on line can give you an idea what you saw. Bobby Foster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:42 am Reply with quote
Greg Thompson
Site Admin
My guides have talked of this too. They say to use only very small baits at this time as it make it difficult for the fish to swallow. Fact or myth, I don't know!

Greg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Don Cutter
The critter you are seeing is a type of crab. In high water, the peacocks tend to lay dormant at or near the bottom of the river or lagoon where these little critters crawl into their mouths and lodge in their throats - making it very difficult for them to feed. Within about 2 weeks after the water stops rising, the critters disappear and the bite is back on. I have seen it on several rivers - mostly recently on the Unini River.

Now, what I have told you is based strictly on what some of my best guides have told me. It is consistent with the behavior of the fish and of water conditions when they appear. Until I hear a more scientific explanation, I go with what they have told me.
Don
Parasite bugs in the gills...... 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Field Reports & Fish Info