PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Travel Planning & Research Information » Mefloquine for malaria prevention banned by Pentagon
Mefloquine for malaria prevention banned by Pentagon 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:18 am Reply with quote
William Alexander
Just read a post from the Pentagon in which the military is stopping the use of mefloquine as an anti-malaria drug for Special Ops personnel due to its potential harmful side effects which includes dizziness, loss of balance and potential permanent ringing in the ears. Mefloquine is contained in Larium which I believe that many of our peacock brothers are or may be using during our trips to Brazil? Obviously, most of us are not Special Ops guys but you may want to consider switching to another anti-malaria pill/drug with less potential side effects. I have been using malarone for many years without any problems but ????

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:20 am Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
Bill,

Thanks for the update. I tried Larium about 24 years ago and gave up on it after the second pill; made me crazy (temporarily in case you had any doubts). I never took another pill. I know of a lot of others that gave up on it as well, so the Pentagon stopping use is not a surprise at all.

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com
Malaria 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Bob Daly
Even though I never used anti malaria pills in all my years fishing in the Amazon, was highly advised on my trip to Tanzania to start their use. I tried malarone on that trip. Also used it in Papua New Guinea without any issues. I talked to a few my fishing partner who are doctors. We are travelling to Uganda in a few months and they said I would be crazy not taking the malarone. So far, no side effects at all. The only side effect I have had was with a typhoid shot as I got a headache for about a month. Guess it beats getting typhoid! Cool
Mefloquine for malaria prevention banned by Pentagon 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Travel Planning & Research Information