PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Travel Planning & Research Information » Time to Double Check Everything
Time to Double Check Everything 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:07 am Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
Peacock bass "season" in the Amazon is fast approaching. Some PBA members are heading down next week. For others going a little later, it is time to double check your papers, both Brazilian Visas and your passports for validity. Get your tackle together and organized, and get in shape for the upcoming "workout".

Why not check out a new lure or two on your trip this season? Also stock up on the little things that make your trip more comfortable, safe and efficient. We have covered a lot of the needs in past forum posts. If you are new to the PBA site, employ the search function to gather some great tips.

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Bobby W. Foster
PBA Moderator
Hello Larry, I plan on taking a couple new subsurface lures for a try in October. They are The Shimano Wax Wing which sinks from one to two feet max and requires you to hold the rod tip down pointed at the lure and reel in at what ever speed you like. No working the lure at all, it does all the darting from side to side with a constant retrieve. I have the 4.6 and 5.4 inch lengths in the saltwater models. After watching the demos on you tube I think they will work great. Have a good one. Bobby

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Dan Hanon
Anyone try Larry Dahlberg's 4.5" subsurface "Wide Glide" for peacocks? I have the large size, but I think the smaller one would be more effective.
Couple of new items to try 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:27 am Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
I just put a couple of the newer Salt Water Rat-L-Traps in my tackle box for an upcoming trip: The 1-ounce Mag Force MF444S in "cigar minnow" pattern and the 1 1/2-ounce Super-Trap ST900S in "Blue Halo" color. I also have some ZiptailZ Treble Hook Skirts (large) to add to some of my baits for added attraction and some 1-ounce Blakemore Road Runner Bucktail Jigs with the new Daiichi hooks. Have a few other lures to check out as well. I'll let you know what works best.

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:31 am Reply with quote
Bobby W. Foster
PBA Moderator
Larry I used the Rat-L-Traps on my first two trip years ago and caught Piranhas only. I know a lot of fishermen use them with success so I may bring a couple with me this trip. Dan I saw a peacock video with a Wide Glide being used and the guy caught a 20+ peacock with the larger size. I am ready to try the Shimano WAXWING, still thinking they should do well with their action and ease of retrieving. Have great trips and let us know how you do. Texian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Dan Hanon
The a Waxwing looks good. I'm thinking a fast, jerky, stop-and-go retrieve for a more erratic action, as opposed to just reeling it in, although that's all that's requird for the gliding action. What do you think Bobby?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Bobby W. Foster
PBA Moderator
Knowing me Dan I am sure it will be hard not to give it a few jerks on the retrieve. They maybe a bust but I don't think so and they probably have not been seen by the ole peacock very much. They are relatively a new lure and I haven't seen any reports on anyone using them. I am carrying down enough in different sizes and colors to give a good test and my I will let my buddies help test them out also. Have a good one. Texian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Bobby W. Foster
PBA Moderator
Dan I will be changing my whole fishing routine this trip. Due to the cancer treatment the last nine years I have only been able to work in two weeks of fishing. I was in so much better shape back then and I was you might say old school because I only fished with the big top water baits, mostly Wood Choppers and High Rollers. Subsurface lures were only used after a failed strike or fry balls. I fished hard and loved the big strike. Due to health and a changing fishery subsurface baits will probably be my main lure this trip. I will be loaded with lots of flies, jigs, Yo Zuri's, and smaller top waters. I have a good friend who is The master at big peacocks and he made all my flies for trolling and they are great. I am a joke with the walking top waters because I never used them in the past. Also I am strictly a bait caster reel guy, this trip I will be bringing a Shimano Stradic 400SJ for the lighter lures. Not very good with it either. They will be making fun at me on the boat with the reel I use with my big topwaters, I have bought a couple old brand new Daiwa PM35SH on ebay, I used them for a couple years and love the spool size ( 200 yds. of 12 lb. mono ) and speed ( 7:1 ). They quit making them a long time ago. Drag is not all that great but to be honest I have never lost a big fish due to the drag. I will spool up my other three Shimano Calais with 65, 50, and 40 pound test. I will use 40 braid on the spinning reel. The trouble we go through to fish for the peacock, gotta love em to do all this. Texian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Bobby W. Foster
PBA Moderator
Dan the last ole new Daiwa PM35SH I bought on eBay I paid a whopping $ 29.99 for. If I survive this trip and am able to return again I think I will invest in a couple Shimano 300E series reels Like the spool capacity and you can never go wrong with a Shimano. Texian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:17 am Reply with quote
Dan Hanon
Bobby, sounds like you've been through hell with that cancer. I sincerely wish you a wonderful trip. Your fishing strategy sounds very good, I can't wait to hear about the Waxwing. We are blessed with so much excellent fishing gear to choose from, it's hard to go wrong with the big brands like Daiwa, Shimano and Abu Garcia. Truly an embarrassment of riches, but it does take money to buy! I'm a bit of a gear whore myself, and I have more lures than I'll ever use. Have fun!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:08 am Reply with quote
Bobby W. Foster
PBA Moderator
I could easily outfit three peacock bass fisherman with what I have if they like fishing with the Big Topwater baits. Love the Wood Chopper Black and Orange, Wood Chopper Goldfinger, Wood Chopper Fire Tiger. High Rollers I go with Halloween, Clown, and Fire Tiger. I wish they still made the Golden Shiner, ( we called it Root beer ) it was a great color for peacock and I only have one left that is beat up a bit but I will still be fishing with it. Me and one of my buddies are the only people I ever seen use them and literally tore them up when we fished with the Golden Shiner. I will be trying The Klures this trip for the first time. In my opinion the quality and colors are unequaled with his line of top waters. Look forward to trying them. Thanks for your input. Texian
Time to Double Check Everything 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Travel Planning & Research Information