PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » Jig colors ...........
Jig colors ........... 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:37 am Reply with quote
Steve Townson
While on the topic of lure colors, for jigs, after extensive trials over many, many years, we have got down to five main colors for the following situations:

1. Red and yellow with black tail - a great all-round jig and our top producer for both stained or clear water to catch large numbers;

2. Red and white with red tail - a highly-visible jig for more stained water and in rocky water like the highland rivers, although it works great in most conditions. Smaller fish tend to prefer this color alot but it will catch fish of all sizes;

3. Black and white, red throat and black tail, another great color for all Peacock Bass in any situation, but more so where the baitfish tend to be much smaller, as in Lake Guri and smaller rivers like the Tupana, Tapera, Xeriuini etc;

4. Green and white, red throat with green tail - when most other colors are slow in producing, we have found that this one seems to wake them up big time. Bigger fish tend to hit this color more than smaller ones;

5. Green and yellow with black stripes, red throat and black tail. Being cannibalistic, Peacock Bass will nail this jig that resembles their own kind. Where there are many really small Butterfly PBs around, the bigger boys seems to prefer this color over any other.

I have caught more big teeners and 20lb+ fish on #s 4 and 5. For some reason, we have found that green is a killer color for larger Peacocks.

Check the link out for more information: http://www.amazon-angler.com/#/jigs/4576283962

Hope this helps you avid jig fishermen in this upcoming season.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Dan Hanon
Fish Finder, How about completely white jigs?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:09 am Reply with quote
Steve Townson
Dan Hanon wrote:
Fish Finder, How about completely white jigs?

Hey Dan,
I have tried and tried and tried with white jigs, some all white, some white with a red touch at the throat and caught one or two. Changed out to a colored jig and bang, fish on nearly instantly. I just don't feel confident at all with pure white jigs.
single color jigs 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:25 am Reply with quote
William Alexander
Steve: Have you tried any other single color jigs with any success? For example, all red or all green, etc.?
Bill Alexander
Crystal River, Florida
Re: single color jigs 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:30 am Reply with quote
Steve Townson
William Alexander wrote:
Steve: Have you tried any other single color jigs with any success? For example, all red or all green, etc.?
Bill Alexander
Crystal River, Florida

Hi Bill, yes I have and also had no or little success. All black was one. I then tied up some red in the black and got results.
I'm talking nearly 20 years of playing with all different color schemes and combinations under the sun and personally, for me, the top five are as described above.
Also, red seems to be a major key color added to jigs with other colors. Even a glimpse of red at the throat seems to make all the difference.
When topwaters are just not working, jigs are my weapons of choice. They will catch you fish of all sizes, from 1lb to 20+.
Jig colors ........... 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle