PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Field Reports & Fish Info » Nov. 4-10 Tiger Fishing
Nov. 4-10 Tiger Fishing 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:56 am Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
Just back from an interesting trip to South Africa where I caught several tigerfish and largemouth bass. The tigerfish caught in Lake Jozini were the small species (under 8 pounds), not the famous "goliath" tigerfish of the now-dangerous central Aftica country Zambia. They were lots of fun and had the most prominent dentures I've seen (excluding the two canines of the payara). The fish are endemic to Jozini and the furthest south in their African range. What is fantastic about this trip is that the lake is in the Phongolo Wildlife Reserve and our short trips each morning and afternoon to the lake passed by about 15 speices of wild game. Giraffes, wart hogs, impala seemed to block our road daily and wildebeest, rinho, zebra, several kinds of deer, bush hog, and others were all over the lake's shoreline. We even had 3 hippos charge our boats!

We also fished Lake Phobane which is full of big Florida-strain bass and lightly fished. On about my 5th cast, I hooked a 6-pounder and my guide called it "small". he has caught dozens over 10 pounds from the lake which is located near Shakaland in Zulu territory. I was amazed at how good the bass fishing was in Phobane in the two days I fished there!

Tried to fish offshore also but high winds and roily waters prevented success there.

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com
Tigerfish 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Bob Daly
Larry: Glad you had a good experience with the tigerfish. Next time try the Ruhuji and Mnyera Rivers in Tanzania for much larger tigers. Also head much earlier as Nov is rain season! Cool
AquaQuad host and guides 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:16 am Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
Thanks for the info on the Ruhuji and Mnyera Rivers in Tanzania. If (hopefully when) I go back I'll try to visit them. I had an offer I couldn't refuse from some great people that manufacture the AquaQuad CLX boats in Durban, South Africa and they set up the Zulu land locations, guided us and provided the boats and picked the dates. Weather while we were there in first 10 days of November was fair and windy. Only a little rain shower (sprinkle) a couple of days in afternoon. The wild game viewing along with the awesome tiger fish teeth images made it such a great trip and one never to forget!

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com
Nov. 4-10 Tiger Fishing 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Field Reports & Fish Info