PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » Jig rig?
Jig rig? 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Bron Rayburn
What line weight would I use for a jig and Yosuri on the Amazon? Would braid still be in my best intrest?
Depends ... 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Art Weston
Most opt for spinning set-ups for jigs. That being said, 30lb-40lb braid is the typical recommendation. I like 40lb PowerPro Super Slick 8 in timber brown color.

You can use a baitcaster for Yo-Zuris if you prefer that type of set-up and can go up to 60lb if you like for more abrasion resistance and knot strength.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:49 am Reply with quote
AndrewTaylor
I fish exclusively with spinning tackle and I use 50lb on my jig setup. 30-40lb will get you snapped off if you hook a grande near any kind of structure. 50lb braid is fine enough to cast and work and will give you a fighting chance on a big fish.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Dan Hanon
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.545613032165244.1073741840.100001496557654&type=1&l=4272b827f5

Bron, I'll be using 50lb PE line in the future because I lost a big fish when my 30lb Power Pro broke mid-line, maybe due to abrasion. I wouldn't use less than 40lb because those lagoons are filled with fallen trees.

Pictured is a 12" Bimini Twist double-line leader using 50lb Power Pro. The terminal knot is a 6 turn Uni (actually a double Uni because the line is doubled) to the jig. BTW, that's Art's rattle jig in the picture, they're awesome! He was kind enough to send me a few. :-)

My version (Hanon modification, ha, ha) of the Bimini is stronger than the mainline strength-I've manually tested them numerous times. With practice, you can easily tie the Bimini in about 90 seconds. NOTE: Do not tie a terminal Palomar knot to your lure! If one of the leader strands gets cut, the Palomar might unravel. Don't waste your time using other knots to make a double line leader, like the Modified Clinch, etc. Now, if you can tie a 12-15" Bimini double line leader using the 32" section of Power Pro Zero Impact, you will have a very strong, abrasion resistant leader!
Line for jigs 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:08 am Reply with quote
Greg Thompson
Site Admin
Having run the gambit on line strength, for jigs I find 30# Power Pro to be the best choice. Steady tension instead of trying to horse these freight trains in will also cut down on break offs.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:34 am Reply with quote
Rick Klotz
Agreed on the 30#. The heavier stuff just doesn't give you as much distance on the cast. Check your line frequently for wear and tear. I've had breakoffs as well on much heavier line fishing high rollers so sometimes the fish wins. Good for them. They're fighting for their life, we're just having fun.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Steve Townson
Agreed on 30# braid IF a double line is used for the last 50cms or so. Otherwise just use straight 50#.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Dan Hanon
30# sure casts better than 50! Maybe I'll compromise with 40# and a double line leader, hmmmmm.....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Dan Hanon
I previously stated not to tie a terminal Palomar knot when using a Bimini Twist double line leader. There is NO validity to that statement! There is NO compromise of the Palomar knot if one of the Bimini strands breaks. I had to tie a few of these knots for the visual confirmation. So, I'll be using the Palomar more.... Another good terminal knot to use with the Bimini is the Uni, essentially a double Uni in this case. I guess I'll have a glass of red wine now that I've wrapped my head around this major personal crisis. :razz:
Jig rig? 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle