PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Water & Weather Conditions » Current flooding
Current flooding 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:22 pm Reply with quote
Rick Klotz
Given the current state of flooding on the Rio Negro does anyone have a guess or experience with how fast the conditions can get closer to normal if we get a change in weather patterns? Also, is the flooding more north or is it the entire watershed?

I ask because I'm scheduled for a mid-September trip.
Historically ... 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:30 am Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
Rick,

I'm sure you probably know what is "normal" and that "normal" hardly ever happens in the Amazon, but for viewers or readers who have not experienced the area very many times I offer:

High July water levels usually drop first in the watersheds south (Madeira) and a little later in the east (Jatapu) versus the north (Rio Negro). Super high water levels can drop very fast once the rains stop. I've seen super high waters in the Negro in August drain out super fast leaving just slightly high waters in late September. I've also seen moderately high waters in August remain moderately high through October due to rainfall in the upper watershed.

You can catch some peacock on a rapidly falling watershed even though it is still not within its banks. That's why early months may be good or very bad. In September and even October to some extent, you do have a few more fishing location options with some operators. If the Negro is still "blown out", then the Madeira should be in good (or better) shape. After October, the options are mostly on the Rio Negro tributaries in the upper, middle and lower sections. Those river systems on the north(east) side of the Negro normally are less affected by heavy rainfall due to a more limited watershed than those on the south side.

I have not had a water level report on the Madeira watershed but have heard that the Negro is very full. A month to 6 weeks of minimal rain could allow the water levels to fall fast, and if you are going to the Madeira, I would guess there would not be a problem, Going north might be, but who knows. I've fished southern tributaries in September but never the Negro.

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Rick Klotz
Thanks Larry.

The current plan is the Madeira in the Agapo Acu region in mid-Sept. Given it's an established yacht operation it has some added mobility. Hoping for the best.
Current flooding 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Water & Weather Conditions