PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » Terminal Tackle Tip: Solid Ring & Split Ring Quick Chang
Terminal Tackle Tip: Solid Ring & Split Ring Quick Chang 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Art Weston
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/21/20120115010a.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/402/2012011501422.jpg/

As a follow-up to a previous post on knot to split ring risks, this topic is about how to use the combination of a solid ring and a split ring to make quick lure change set-up in lieu of using a snap swivel.

http://www.peacockbassassociation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1358

In the above post, I described that your line can be damaged by the ends of a split ring, but that you can avoid that by making sure your knot is secured around the split ring’s coils (positioned at the opposite side of the ring from the two ends). With that being said, there is another alternative.

The brand Owner makes a solid, seamless ring. Solid rings are used in numerous terminal tackle set-ups, but have not seen it used in the way I am proposing. The concept is to tie your line off to a solid ring, where there is no risk of the line being cut by a sharp edge (as with a split ring). You then simply join that solid ring to a split ring, then that split ring to the lure.

What is interesting about this idea is you can use split ring pliers and quickly switch out lures at your convenience. This concept would be in lieu of using a snap swivel. Many Peacock bass anglers have debated the use of snaps of snap swivels, where on one side you have a quick-change lure option, but on the other, you add risk to your set-up because those snaps have opened up on anglers resulting in a loss of the lure and fish.

I have researched and tried many of the most popular and secure snap and snap swivels on the market, and I don’t know of one that someone has said was fail-free. Not to mention, the most secure ones have reviewed are quite difficult to open and close.

What I have had solid testing in is split rings. The man among boys ring is the Wolverine triple coil or Lurepartsonline.com triple coil (I have heard they might be one in the same). I can’t imagine a circumstance where a triple ring would open up on a Peacock bass, nor have I heard of one failing in the field. One alternative risk to opening up is when a split ring can lose their connection to the lure eye by the eye threading itself and coming off if rotated. However, with a triple ring, that possibility is extremely low. In my opinion, even the best snap or snap swivel has considerably more risk of failing or coming undone than a triple coil split ring.

In terms of quick changing, since the triple rings use a thinner diameter wire than a double ring, they open up easily with good split ring pliers and retain their memory well after multiple uses.

So the benefits of the solid ring to triple split ring are:
1. Risk-free line knot connection to the solid ring (vs. the cutting ends of a split ring)
2. A triple coil ring is virtually indestructible and unthreadable.
3. Set-up can be used multiple times when changing lures out.
4. The connection is a smaller less pronounced one as compared to a snap or snap swivel.
5. You will gain lure action with minnow baits, and perhaps jigs (vs. a direct tie to lure eye).
The cons are:
1. You need to use split ring pliers to change out lures (but that is easy and just as quick as tying a good knot if you practice).
2. You run a possible risk of the coil ring threading itself against the lure eye and coming off, but that risk is extremely low.
The recommended set-up is a size 5 Owner Solid ring and a size 5 triple coil split ring. This set-up works on all my lures (jigs, minnows, spooks, and choppers).
yes 
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Art Weston
I switched to using a dual-ball bearing swivel with a triple coil split ring lure join on my last trip to Brazil in Jan '13.

http://www.imageshack.com/photo/my-images/16/dsc01951oi.jpg/

I am a HUGE fan of the AFW - American Fishing Wire (Size 3 / 130lb) swivels and Size 4 Triple Coil Rings (to use size 4 rings, you need smaller nosed split ring pliers, otherwise go up to size 5). Perfect for most Peacock lures (and some jigs).

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/211/dsc01954k.jpg/

I also tried a version that had a short 75lb 7-strand titanium leader for mouth abrasion with no noticeable impact on fish attraction. With the short 6" leader I had to retie less often (not to mention protecting against a piranha/payara/trairao strike).

-Art
terminal tackle 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:04 am Reply with quote
Bob Daly
I also believe the solid Owner rings are great. However, cannot beat the Wolverine triple coiled rings. They recently manufactured a smaller size triple ring which should fit on most peacock lures. Would tend to believe still strong than conventional rings. I think the weight issue can be address by which type of hooks are used. Smile
Terminal Tackle Tip: Solid Ring & Split Ring Quick Chang 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle