PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » Rain Gear
Rain Gear 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Bron Rayburn
Going March 2nd. Do I need to buy a rain suit better than the cheap version of frog tog? With it being that close to rainy season, any thoughts?
FrogToggs are great 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:04 am Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
Bron,

You will definitely need a rainsuit down there, from what I an now hearing. I love FrogToggs and the original cheap model is good for most rains but I prefer the FT model that is a little more expensive. That said, a friend that was down last week said it poured on them 4 days of their trip and during the day (not at night as it did most of the time when I was down there 2 weeks ago). He said that "there is no rain suit made that will keep you dry in four hours of driving rain."

I usually head under a big tree during downpours, always during lightning events. Fishing then is not fun for me and I can't take pictures of a big fish in driving rain, AND it is a little easier to keep as dry as possible. After a couple hours of miserable thunderstorms, I head for camp. I haven't missed much in those situations.

By the way, take plenty of bug spray with you on your trip!

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Art Weston
For light rain (typical trip), simple light-weight gear is perfect b/c you want to keep cool and be able to take it on and off quickly.

However, as Larry stated, heavy rain is a different animal all together. I had one of those trips where it rained more than it was clear. My rain gear got so saturated it "failed" and you got soaked (it was miserable).

On my last trip, I was more prepared. I went with two sets of rain gear ... a light set, and a heavy duty set. To Larry's point, I am not certain the heavy set would have lasted, but it would have lasted longer for sure. The heavy set-up should have bib pants and extreme protection ratings. If you don't go the bib pant route, your protection won't last long ... when sitting in the bass boats, the water will pool up in the seat and come in from your waist line (not fun!).

It will be HOT to wear, so it would only be purposeful under the expectation of long duration rain (like if it rained all night and you woke up and it was still raining) ... and it's bulky so you don’t have to have to keep taking it on and off.

I went with the Under Armor Full Throttle Parka and matching bib pants.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search.cmd?form_state=searchForm&N=0&fsch=true&Ntk=AllProducts&Ntt=Under+Armour%AE+Full+Throttle&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products&x=19&y=6

Simms just came out with a heavy set as well, and there are some other options to consider. All the good options are expensive ... $400+ for a set, so keep that in mind. IF they don't fail and you have days of rain like I had, it would have been worth the expense in my opinion.

Last thing to consider is weight, the heavy sets are about 5 lbs or so, so make sure you plan your total baggage weight accordingly (you can always put the gear on to avoid it getting weighed).

-Art

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:36 am Reply with quote
Rick Klotz
In my experience I find I wear my rain suit less and less in moderate rain. Now I don't even take the pants (my legs don't care nor do my Crocks). If it's a heavy rain for an extended period you're going to get wet inside the suit anyway. Many of the guides just tough it out and get wet so I've sort of adopted the same approach. It's only water and you're going to dry out pretty quick after it stops. Where the jacket is nice is when the boat is moving and the rain is really pelting you, you're somewhat protected. It also helps if you get chilled.

As far as brands, save yourself a bunch of money and just get a lightweight suit from World Wide Sportsman (Bass Pro brand). It has kept me as dry as any other suit I've ever owned and it's really lightweight (2 lbs. max). I think I paid about $30.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:12 am Reply with quote
Art Weston
On our last day fishing on my first trip our guide was so cold and wet he begged to go back to the Black Water Explorer to take a break and come back out later. He was shivering and miserable.

We had anglers that were so impacted by the heavy rain they skipped entire days of fishing. I will always take heavy rain gear now, on the off chance you get into an epic rain situation ... it is out of this world at times!

To prove my point here is a short video of one of the bad days of rain ... it lasted ALL day at this level:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mi1ZYCM-fQ&feature=youtu.be

Here is another day where my fishing partner didn't have any rain gear ... it was very cold that day (other anglers stayed on the BWE):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0TCzO4owDE&feature=youtu.be

My last trip the heavy gear never got used, but I was happy to have at my disposal.

I would like to think the gear that is made for the professional/commercial anglers can take much more of a beating that the typical stuff.

-Art

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Try a U.S. Gov't issue PONCHO. Army tested with no leaks! Also lightweight and you can pick up a used one for under $20 at any surplus store.

I agree with Rick that you really don't need pants and a good lightweight jacket like Cabelas DryPlus for under $50 works great.

The heavy Gore-Tex rain gear is fine for the cold rain Canada or Alaska but weighs too much and you will literally "cook" with it on in the Amazon.

Art- you had a guide who begged to come in when it was raining???? Sounds like an outfitter to stay away from???
He was our favorite guide by far 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Art Weston
Our guide was a trooper ... after 8 hours of non-stop HEAVY rain and low temperatures, he was shivering and miserable ... heck we were with full gear on. Maybe my rain experience was truly unusual (so much so half of our fishing party vowed never to return to the Amazon). In fact, on that day we had to stop to bail out the bass boat (has anyone else had that much rain?). The heavy gear would not have cooked anyone in those conditions ... it would have put a smile on your face.

As I stated before, I have a light set for the standard situations. I just carry an extra heavy set for worst-case scenarios. A poncho would not have done the trick on those crazy days.

I think most would agree, the trip conditions I am describing should have resulted in a cancelled trip ... but we were there ... tried to make the best of it. As an aside, on one of the worst days of rain my fishing partner and I landed 95 peacocks.

-Art

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:32 am Reply with quote
Congratulations and sounds like a great day catching 95 in the rain. My group also experienced some good action during the 'heavy' rain under last year. It was the first time in my life that I actually 'heard' rain coming.
New Simms gear 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Art Weston
If money is no object and you want extreme amazon rain protection, you might want to consider the new Simms gear ... it received the "Best New Rain Gear for 2012 from F&S.

"On some fishing days, it just rains; on others, the heavens open up on a biblical scale. This rain suit is designed for those other days."

"It’s heavy-duty stuff, but shell suppleness, breath-ability, and overall light weight make it comfortable enough for warmer weather."

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/fishing/bass-fishing/2012/02/best-best-fishing-gear-2012?photo=17

My light rain set-up is made by Simms and I have been pleased with it, but if anyone gets this set, please let me know how you like it,

-Art
Rain Gear 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle