PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » Shimano Tranx New for 2012
Shimano Tranx New for 2012 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:01 am Reply with quote
Bob Daly
New for 2012 is the new Shimano Tranx baitcaster. It is offered in 2 models high gear (HG) and power gear (PG). It features a VBS brake system to provide ideal brake force at all times during casts, dartainium 11 drag wahers to provide smooth drag performance. Both models weigh 20.0oz. The HG model has 43in of line retrieve per crank while the PG has 30in. Both hold 210 yds of 80# Power Pro. The max drag on both is 25lbs!! Both have 7 Sa-RB ball bearings. MSRP is $499.99. These reels are suppose to be out March 1, 2012 but have heard there is already a waiting list! Should be perfect for golden dorado, PNG bass, and big monster peacocks! Cool

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Rick Klotz
Bob:

It all sounds good except for the 20 oz weight. I figured on my last trip I average about 1000 casts a day with a High Roller. Don't take my man card, but that's one heavy reel to be chuckin' all day like that.
Shimano 
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Bob Daly
Agree on the weight on the reel. Looking at the Revo Winch and Revo Toro Winch as need lots of drag pull for an upcoming trip to Papua New Guinea for supposingly the toughest freshwater fish pound for pound on earth, the New Guinea black bass! Cool

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Rick Klotz
For what it's worth I used the new Quantum PT Smoke 150 for the High Rollers. 7:3 (34" per crank), under 7 oz's and an 18 lb drag. Holds plenty of 65 lb Power Pro too.

For the New Guinea Bass a lower speed reel with even greater power might be better, but I can't imagine a better reel than the Smoke for the peacocks.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Bob Daly
Was told by a contact who has fished PNG numerous times that you need at least a drag pull in the 25 to 30 range. Also he suggested nothing less than 100lbs braid and that does not always work. Cool

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Bob Daly
Went to the Chicago Muskie Show yesterday to check out the Shimano Tranx. Spent about 30 minutes with Larry Dahlberg going over this reel. It has a much bigger frame than I thought. Also a tad heavy. Peacock guys do not need this reel. Would be good for golden dorado as it is the strongest baitcaster on the market plus it holds lots of line. Larry stressed that the power gear model is better than the high speed for all species. I preordered the TRX500PG and Larry suggested I spool with 200lbs PowerPro for the PNG bass! Was able to gain a great amount of useful information from Larry! He also gave a good seminar on some of the funny deleted clips from his "Hunt for Big Fish" television show. Cool

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Bob,

Have you looked at the "Revo Inshore" model? (See my post on Thursday
12/13/2007). I have been using that reel since then for large mouth bass and use it exclusively for jerk baits(only because I only have one of them). That post mentioned above has all the specs and just received Cabela's SALTWATER catalog last week and it's in there also, (24lb drag system, 8.7ozs all for $229.99.

By the way if you have any of that 200lb braid left and don't need it, I could always use some extra anchor rope for my boat!

In all seriousness that is one fine reel.

Ed Grunloh
Peacock Bass South
Orlando, Fl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Bob Daly
Received my Shimano Tranx 500PG yesterday. All I can say is Wow!! Cool
Shimano Tranx New for 2012 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle