PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » Shimano Curado 301H Type J - Lefty w/ High Capacity & Sp
Shimano Curado 301H Type J - Lefty w/ High Capacity & Sp 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Art Weston
A great reel for Peacocks is the Curado CU300EJ. It is a high capacity reel with great speed. Many on this forum say it is the perfect reel for Peacocks (as well as Dorado) ... IF you like to reel with your right hand. The US version of this reel does not come in a left handed reel.

http://fish.shimano.com/publish/content/global_fish/en/us/index/products/reels/low_profile_baitcasting/Curado_E.html

For lefty reelers, your alternative option would be the Curado CU301E, sporting the same capacity but losing 4 inches of line retrieve per crank. At this point, opting for the Abu Garcia Revo Toro 60 HS in lefty would be a better alternative (some say the Toro can rival the Curado regardless).

With that all being said, for those Curado lovers, there is a lefty CU300EJ out there ... just not at US retailers (and under a different model number). Shimano makes a Curado 301H Type J reel that is not distributed in the US, but you can get it on EBay from a few sellers. I have purchase a number of Japanese only Shimano reels from EBay in the last year with no complaints.

http://fishing.shimano.co.jp/product/reel/325

Below is an example offering of the reel from the seller I have used in the past:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290657952602?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_5453wt_1392

This reel is essentially the same as the US high speed/high capacity version in a lefty, but it is sliver and blue instead of the US-version's green.

Shimano can service Japanese market reels, but they did warn me that parts can take some time to order if there is not a US stocked equivalent ... so keep that in mind.

-Art

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Rick Klotz
Nice reel and I love my Shimano 200's, but unless it's different in some way than the ones I've looked at, it's at least 4-5 oz's heavier than other reels with fast (or faster) retrieve with solid drags plus good line capacity.

At close 1,000 casts day with a High Roller that extra weight makes a difference.
I agree 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Art Weston
I prefer a smaller reel for peacocks, but I am going to LaZona this year for dorado, and need some more line capacity ... so I came by this reel via research. I also think it could be great for amazon catfish.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Bob Daly
For those interested, the Shimano Tranx most likely will have a left handed model sometime later this season.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Dink Alston
I used my 300EJ back in October, and can tell you it was the first time I didn't come home with blisters on my fingers. I was actually there for two weeks this time. Once you get use to the big knobbed power handle, you won't use anything else. You could always change the handle to a standard one if the weight worries you, but I still contend you'll love the big handle once you use it.

With the exception of the handle, the reel is not physically bigger than my Curado 200D's that I've used for years. I actually use the reel on my pitching stick for bass now. I highly recommend it as a woodchopper reel.

Dink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Dan Hanon
Sweet reel! I agree with Dink that it's a perfect Woodchopper reel. I don't own one, but I have a ABU Toro 50HS that I love. I used it at La Zona and it had plenty of line capacity (about 10 yards more than Curado 300), pulls in 30.5" line/crank and the power handle rocks. Nearly the same weight as Curado with more drag, which may come in handy.
Shimano Curado 301H Type J - Lefty w/ High Capacity & Sp 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle