PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Field Reports & Fish Info » Fishing Report wekk 11/4-11/11
Fishing Report wekk 11/4-11/11 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:11 am Reply with quote
Rick Klotz
Just got back from fishing the area north of Barcelos. We were confined to the flooded islands and back water areas off the main trunk of the Negro due to rising water in some of the usual rivers.

There were 14 anglers, although several were not serious fishermen or fisherwomen. In all we took just under 2000 fish. That included 2 18's, 2 16's and 20 fish or so over 10. The fly fisherman caught the most numbers, but not the biggest.

The bulk of the fish were taken on red/white or red/yellow jigs. I had some success on the High Roller in Halloween and Clown, but you could go a long time between fish. Another new lure that worked quite well for me was the Yozuri Trembler minnow in white/chartreuse with a little red added from a Sharpie. Worked very fast just under the surface, darting from side-to-side. Wish I had taken more in several different colors.

What amazed us is how aggressive the dolphin were in this area. Because it gets more fishing traffic these dolphin have learned to hang around the boat and wait for the released fish as a free meal. On a couple occasions they even grabbed one while hooked. Once they moved into an area it screwed up the fishing. Never saw this behavior so strongly before. I used to like to see them. Now I would prefer not to.

I used one of the new Quantum PT Smoke reels (150 size) with 65 lb Power Pro to fish the Hugh Rollers. Awesome reel for the job. With 34" of line per crank and an 18 lb drag, but only weighing in at 7.8 oz's, it was ideal for the task. Holds plenty of line as well.

As always they did a nice job on the boat. The fishing could have been better with a few more big fish landed, but can't that always be the case...
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Jim Wright

We had the exact same problem with the dolphins when we fished the IgapuAcu in the southern region . We were fishing the first week in October with RP.

Fishing Report wekk 11/4-11/11 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Field Reports & Fish Info