PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » Split Ring Tests
Split Ring Tests 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:19 am Reply with quote
Art Weston
Tested the following of similar diameter:

A. Owner HyperWire - Size 6 (stated rating of 70lb)
https://www.ownerhooks.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=111&osCsid=38db9ad4b78f572425c0ed6aacc9a16f

B. Joe Butcher Outdoors Super Strength - Size 5
http://www.joebucheroutdoors.com/splitrings.asp

C. SPRO Power - Size 5 (stated rating of 90lbs)
http://www.spro.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SPSTLSRN-ALL

D. Lure Parts Online 3X Super - Size 5
http://lurepartsonline.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1378

Initial testing was to determine the approximate point when the rings would have a permanent deformation, not a total failure. I did the tests at this level more so to determine when the ring could begin to thread itself under pressure against the lure connection.

I also chose the 5 size because at least for me it seems like the size that works for most lures (both small and large) ... I used the Owner Size 6 because that was the most similar to the others in diameter. As an aside, Owner seems not to follow other companies in terms of what is expected from a stated size of hooks and split rings (split rings are smaller, but hooks are bigger).

Results ranked based on pounds of pull when permanent deformation occurs:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/849/20110925005.jpg/
Picture shows rings in left to right order of Owner/JoeB/SPRO/LureP

Rank #4 @60lbs Owner HyperWire - Size 6 (stated rating of 70lb)
Rank #3 @70lbs Joe Butcher Outdoors Super Strength - Size 5
Rank #2 @80lbs SPRO Power - Size 5 (stated rating of 90lbs)
Rank #1 @100lbs (did not deform) Lure Parts Online 3X Super - Size 5

Results are pretty clear. If your lure can handle the Lure Parts Online 3X rings, those are great. Many of my lures cant take their width, so for those types, the SPRO Power Rings seem to be the best. Even though the Owner rings had a lower stated rating, I was hoping they would have done better b/c their hooks are typically under-rated.

-Art
SPRO Size 6 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Art Weston
Update ... I am ending up using the SPRO Power size 5 for smaller lures (spooks, etc.) and SPRO Power size 6 for any larger lure that can handle the size and weight, that can't handle the LurePartsOnline 3X size 5 rings.

-Art
split rings 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Bob Daly
Would be interesting to see if there is a difference in strength between the Wolverine Tackle triple coiled split rings versus the Lure parts on line triple coiled ring. For all my La Zona dorado lures have switched over to the Wolverine triple coiled rings and highly recommend them if needed. Do not think they however are necessary for peacocks. Great info Art! Cool
Wolverine Rings 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Art Weston
Bob, I'd be happy to test one of those rings if you want to send me one. You can message me and I can reply with my address if you like.
Bob, requested tests done! 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Art Weston
Bob,

Tests are done. The Wolverine triple ring won, but both are good up to about 80lbs of pressure. Past that (at 90 lbs), the Lure Parts Online ring made a "snap" sound and you can clearly see (in the linked picture) the outermost ring moved away from the terminal connection. Both did hold up though to 110 lbs (my max testing weight) without total failure.

http://imageshack.us/f/32/splitringtest.jpg/

I don't know what others think, but I am going to tie my line to the part of the split ring that is opposite the opening threads. Seeing that the threads can move under pressure, I don't want the ends to cut at the line as they expand and contract. However, if you tie this way you do have the opposite risk of the lure eye being threaded during the ring deformation ... but I think that is the lower risk.

-Art
BTW 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Art Weston
Not to stir up too much more controversy on the topic, but the braided connections in the picture you see are not knots, but simply a loop in hollow braided line that goes through the ring's center then back around the outside of it (it can be easily undone to change out lures, etc.). The line used was 80lb Power Pro Hollow Ace line ... it stood up to 110lbs of pressure ... much much more than a traditional knot would have held up using the same or similar line.

(maybe just maybe I will convince someone to try hollow line looped non-knots one of these days)

-Art

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:34 am Reply with quote
Bob Daly
Art: Thanks for the great work! I have used those Wolverine rings on the maority of dorado lures for years. Problem is the rings are very wide so cannot fit some of the hook hangers. However if you believe they will fit I definately would recommend them to all!
Good fishing, Cool
Split Ring Tests 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle