PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » Catfish Rig
Catfish Rig 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Art Weston
Here is my initial design, but I would love some input before I make my full allotment for my next trip.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/195/20110921001.jpg/

Components:
- 1 Gamakatsu 12/0 "Big River Bait" Hook
- 24 inches of AFW 49-Strand 175lb Stainless Steel Shark Leader Cable (Brown)
- 2 one ounce egg sinkers
- 1 SPRO 240lb Heavy Swivel
- 4 Size 1.3 Sea Striker Billfisher Double Sleeves
- 1 Nylon Thimble (to protect the leader from wear against the hook eye)
- Sea Striker Crimper Tool

Is two feet enough of a leader? I have read it is primarily for protecting against the piranha biting near your bait.

I went with the Gamakatsu Big River hook because based on my research it seemed like the largest and strongest catfish hook out there and seeing that in Brazil one can hook into a giant Piraiba, big might be better.

My line testing set-up only goes up to 110lbs, and this rig had no problem at the maximum load, but I still used two sleeves at each end to give extra protection from the leader slipping.

I thought 2 oz. was enough, but advice on that one would be great. That is what I used on my last trip.

I added the swivel both for a nice connection point for the main line as well as to protect against line twist in the current.

Thoughts? They are pretty easy to make, and I can write-up a complete how-to if people think it would be helpful.

-Art

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Sean Wood
PBA Moderator
We used wire wrapped on circle hooks when I went catfishing. Wire tied direct to 10 or 12/0 circle hook on end with a 150-200 lb swivel on the other end. Might check with your outfitter to see if they have lead weights already on the boat, so you dont have to waste carry on weight for them.

How much weight? 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:18 am Reply with quote
Art Weston
I was thinking 2 to 3 oz. of lead for each rig ... but with faster currents, was not sure if that is enough?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Bob Daly
Art: I still really like the larger circle hooks. Also I have used these large circle hooks for peacocks and catfish alike. Keeps the weight of tackle down. Egg sinkers are the way to go for cats. No sinker required for peacocks when slow trolling. For live bait fishing for peacocks or cats, wire leaders are a must or the piranhas will feast on your hooks!
As mentioned in numerous posts not all are into using live bait for peacocks. However it can make a great trip when conditions are "off" and normally not much of a problem catching some monsters! Also if planning on using live bait for peacocks, check with your outfitter before buying a bunch of circle hooks, etc.. to see if allowed Cool
Nov 2011 Review 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:25 am Reply with quote
Art Weston
We had great success with these rigs. We caught numerous Sorubims and Piraibas with no rig or hook failures.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/525/imgp0724y.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/847/imgp0735w.jpg/

I will try a circle hooks on next trip.
Catfish Rig 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle