PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » Trolling jigs
Trolling jigs 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:47 am Reply with quote
Keith Edleman
On my trip last year, several of the guides had light weight "trolling jigs" that we used with great success. They are quite a bit lighter than the 1/2 oz "casting jigs", have big eyes and look much like a fly fishing streamer. I don't know about big fish on them, but we caught many 5 -6 pounders and one 9 pounder. It was a great "rest" technique when the heat and the work of casting big top water lures wear you down a bit.

I searched the internet but only found one source, Ultimate Peacock Bass Jigs. Do any of you have other sources for this kind of jig?
haven't seen them anywhere in my research 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:51 am Reply with quote
Art Weston
I am not aware of anyone selling those. Best bet is to either make your own (shameless plug to my how-to post, just use a lighter head), or do what my guide did, and literally pull off the lead head of an existing jig with pliers.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Bob Daly
AS mentioned Ultimate peacock bass jigs sells these type of jigs. They basically are tying a fly onto a strong light weight hook and troll them through lagoons about 50-100 ft behind the boat. check them out at ultimatepeacockbassjigs.com
you are tight 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Art Weston
I think that is a great new add from them (I might buy some myself) ... here is the direct link

http://ultimatepeacockbassjigs.com/trollingjig

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Dan Hanon
Guys, I bought a bunch of jigs from ultimatepeacockbassjigs.com, and they are very good. I didn't get any of the trolling ones.

They have a strong, quality 6/0 hook, I think Mustad. Just the right amount of bucktail, flashabou and good color selection.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:47 am Reply with quote
Bob Daly
Don't forget the use of live bait when allowed. Obviously don't get too carried away with various type of lures as you will have baggage weight restrictions. I have posted a few posts regarding live bait. Saved the day for my group many years plus many many huge peacocks landed this way! The odds of landing a 20lbs + monster drastically improves with live bait! Wish I was allowed to use a big boga at La Zona for golden dorado. I can just dream on the monster I could possibly hook into Laughing Cool

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:45 am Reply with quote
Keith,

When/where are you going this season?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Keith Edleman
Mike -

I am going to go to the Anglers' Inn Floating Suites in late January. The guy that I go to Canada and Mexico with wanted to try Brasil and we really like the Anglers' Inn service in Mexico.
Trolling jigs 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle