PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » A few questions I have outstanding for this year's trip
A few questions I have outstanding for this year's trip 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Art Weston
1. Anyone ever bring down walkie talkies (can include a base station)? We had some sketchy situations last trip during a lighting storm and our guide could not find the mother ship for 2 hours. It sure would have been great to leave one at base camp (or ship) to get in contact if necessary. It might also be fun do have for boat to boat if you want to raze your buddies after landing a grande.

2. My rain gear totally failed ... soaked through after a few hours in heavy rain. Any light gear out there that wont fail? I just started to look but was wondering if anyone has solved that problem.

3. Anyone ever bring down a GPS device .. there are even ones with "SPOT" satellite communication (allowing texting, etc.). That could be handy, plus it would be interesting to track your fishing patterns each day.

4. Ever wear or have handy and inflatable life vest belt? Also a safety concern on last trip. There are a few small options, but I fear they will be to bulky or hot. Also, not sure if you can travel with these with their compressed air canisters.

http://www.stearnsflotation.com/16-Gram-Manual-Inflatable-Belt-Pack-Series-P1697C17.aspx

5. Sunglasses that don't fog up while wearing a buff. That drove me crazy last trip.

Thanks in advance!

-Art
Found one decent PFD option 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Art Weston
This belt doesn't look half bad ...

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/571/unledtb.jpg/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:47 am Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
1. Used walkie talkies a few times when filming videos and doing TV shows down there. Many fishing boats have communication radios with the mothership or lodge. Some do not. If you have room, why not take them. Keep in mind the charter flight weight restriction though.
2. I have used Froggtoggs Outerwear (the newest version) and am happy with its performance. The best strategy for me though is to go over to near the bank and sit under a tree and wait it out when it is pouring!
3. I have had a couple of friends take down GPS's and mark their prime waters. They can then help the following day's guide, if different, to go back there. You can also use them to relocate a prime spot that you were on earlier in the week when your mothership heads back downstream toward the end of the week.
4. I know of a couple that frequently visits the Amazon and they wear the life belts that inflate upon exposure to the water every time they are on the water. Don't know about the compressed air canisters in checked baggage but I'm sure you could not carry them aboard the plane. You could call a dive shop and ask how traveling divers fly with their BCs.
5. I like my Ono's (Trading Company) which are glass and have small bifocals built in, but I wear a wide brim hat. Keep the sunglasses with your camera in a non- or partially air conditioned space and fog will be minimal. I always keep mind in the cabin's bathroom which usually is not air conditioned. Each morning the camera and sunglasses are ready to go without fog problems. Of course, a pouring rain and fast cooling temperature can cause some humidity problems for glasses sometimes.

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com
Onos Sunglasses 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:26 am Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
Have to add that I just got another pair of ONOS polarized sunglasses. Love my first pair (which are still in perfect condition) and the new ones which are the Earnest Hemingway Cojimar Polarized glasses with Amber Lens Color and +2.5 Reader Power. They also have prescription full glass lens for those that need them! Check out their website at http://onos.com for all the options. It would make a great stocking stuffer.

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com
equipment 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:12 am Reply with quote
Bob Daly
I have taken a belt type life preserver down to La Zona for years and packed the air cannisters without any issues. I packed them in my checked baggage. Cool
A few questions I have outstanding for this year's trip 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle