PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » White braid and permanent markers
White braid and permanent markers 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Art Weston
From the line I have tested, you can pack more white braid on a spool than the same manufactures colored braid ... I am working on confirming that difference officially, but I am going with white.

Even though peacocks have not been know to be sensitive to line color, other than stories of guides who color faded line black for anglers whose braid has faded, what color would be best for stained water (assuming you could chose)?

I have tried to simply dye white braid with permanent markers and the color seems to stay as good or nearly as good as the pre-colored lines ... and it is not that hard to do (you can get a chisel tip marker and cut a notch in it).

I also might make some simple marks on the line to indicate how much line has come off the spool in case of a break off, etc. Might also be interesting to see how far a large peacock strips off line (assuming you can see the markings w/o impacting your fight).

I think light to medium brown would be the choice, then green?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Dan Hanon
I would never use white line, go with the green or red; everyone knows you don't spool white after Labor Day.

From your posts, it sounds as if you have spool capacity issues. If memory serves me right, you purchased three identical Shimano Scorpion reels for peacock fishing. You really should have different capacity reels matched with appropriate rods so you can work the different lures effectively. I understand your thought process of trying to standardize your fishing arsenal, but it's more or a handicap than help. Larry Larson probably has some literature or videos to help you select tackle. Also, Gary Laden wrote a nice field guide to peacock bass fishing that might be available. Point is, there is lots of information on this forum and on the internet about good peacock tackle and fishing tactics.

Are you going back this season?

Dan
I am going with brown to match the tannin in the water 
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Art Weston
It took me 3 minutes to color the last 25 yards of my white Power Pro Hollow Ace line. I made over 50 casts in the local pond, and I don't notice any loss of color yet.

Here are some brown markers you can choose from:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/834/20110828036.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/217/20110828039.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/684/20110828040.jpg/
White braid and permanent markers 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle