PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » Who is interested in line and knot testing, etc?
Who is interested in line and knot testing, etc? 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Art Weston
I am trying (haveing issues with suppliers) buying a digital force guage, stand, and accessories necessary to test line, knots, joins, hooks, and even terminal tackle ... in terms of their breaking strenghts. I also am buying a micro meter to test acutal diameters (a lot of manufactures listed sizes are not accurate).

I am going to do this for myself, but would be happy to post results and even do test on a member's behalf if they send me testing samples.

Here are the lines I plan on testing (some in in 20lb, 30lb, 50lb, 65lb, and 80lb):
- Cortland Masterbraid - 8-Strand
- Sufix 832 - 8-Trand
- Sufix Performance Stretch Braid
- Tasline by Paulus
- The new 8-Strand Super Slick Power Pro that is not out yet
- I do not plan on getting the current Power Pro seeing the new stuff is coming out, so if you want to send me samples once I get up and running (let's say 3-5 yards or new line) I can do that.
Some preliminary issues 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Art Weston
I just got my micrometer, which is simply a digital ruler for small items. I want to measure the diameter of braid line so that I can compare that to the absolute breaking strength of the line when I get my force gauge (still on back order).

I have not finalized the way I will do it but as an initial method, I am simply measuring the diameter in mm of a single strand of line, then the diameter when wrapped around a nail. There will be issues with line that is not uniform (flat line v.s rounder line), so that is the reason for the dual techniques.

So I wanted to compare Cortland's 50lb Master Braid vs. Sufix's 50lb 832. A few interesting notes:

- I measured the Sufix 50lb 832 to be 30% larger than the Cortland 50lb. In fact the Cortland is just about the same diameter as the Sufix 20lb! What's even weirder is that the Cortand's stated diameter on the spool is 30% more than the Sufix's stated diameter (so the opposite of the measured outcome). Then to pile on, on Cortland's site, they have a wildly different spec for line diameter than stated on the spool (I wrote them a note asking for clarification).
- The Sufix 50lb was about 10% larger than was stated on the spool. I have read on other sites that Sufix line was up to 20% larger than stated.

Anyway, I realize this is not that interesting without breaking tests, but it does demonstrate that one brand's line of the same test, may have a materially different size ... and that each manufacture might not accurately represent said line on the spool correctly.

I would hope that the Sufix line will have a significantly higher breaking strength than the Cortland just do to diameter alone ... but what if it doesn't! We'll just have to wait and see.

-Art
Quick Jig Hook measurement 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Art Weston
Did a quick hook measurement on the Owner 5319 jig hook (which I use for my jigs) vs. the popular Caribe 5/0 jig's hook. The Owner 5319 is about 15% thicker.
Who is interested in line and knot testing, etc? 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle