PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » Spinning gear vs. bait-casters for jigs
Spinning gear vs. bait-casters for jigs 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Art Weston
So, I have both set-ups. I know the jigging motion is a bit easier on the spinning tackle, but you have to go way down in line strength (i.e. 30lb) vs. what you can load into a bait-caster and cast farther. On my new bait-caster (Shimano Scorpion DC7) I can cast a 1/2 oz. jig 60-70 yards with 65lb Sufix 832 braid, but I can barely go 1/2 of that distance with 40lb Sufix 832 braid on the spinning gear (Stradic CI4 3000). I would need to go down to 30lb to get more distance but that seems like a significant disadvantage vs. the bait-caster.

Also, the spinning gear when casting over ones head, has such a high arc vs. the more lower trajectory of a bait-caster. I know a side arm cast can help with that, but thought is was something to point out as another disadvantage of spinning gear when casting for accuracy.

Lastly, when trying to do a powerful cast with the spinning gear, it can really wear out your pointer finger before the line release.

I will end up bringing both set-ups next trip, but more so to just give my muscles a break by switching every so often from spinning to bait-caster (works different muscles).

Am I missing something? Like the jigs run better through the water with lighter line, etc?

-Art
Spinning gear vs. bait-casters for jigs 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle