PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Travel Planning & Research Information » Interest and costs of peacock fishing-up
Interest and costs of peacock fishing-up 
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:47 am Reply with quote
neal m brown
In reading larry's post about the rise in airfares to Manaus, I began to think about how much the costs for a peacock trip to brazil have increased over the past few years, while other trips like to Alaska have gone down in price, and the reasons and affects of the increases.

It seems that only 3 or 4 years ago, the typical brazil peacock excursion was just under $3,500, and airfare from most anywhere in the u.s. Was around $800' but almost always less than $1,000. Fishing with the same outfitters is now pushing $5,000 and in some cases more, while air fares seem to be in the $1,200-$1,400 range.
During this same period, most other "hot" fishing destinations that i go to,like Alaska or the bahamas have gone dramatically.The outfitters from these other destinations advise me that with the downturn in the economy, they are fighting for a shrinking market.

Add to this that the fishing conditions in the amazon have generally been
Quite difficult and unpredictable in the amazon these past few years, the steep price increases are doubly confounding.

So, i ask myself, why and how this can be. While I am no expert, I am left with only one explanation that seems to make sense: that despite the economic slowdown in general, and it's profound affect on leisure activities, amazon peacock fishing in the amazon has become, a, or maybe the, "holy Grail", and I may add, deservedly so. People whom i've spoken with tell me that while they use to do 2,3, or 4 trips a year, they have had to cut back, but amazon peacock fishing is their last hold out. Other fishermen I've talked to tell me that the downturn in the economy has given them impetus to go sooner rather than later, lest things get so bad that they will never be able to-- the bucket list mentality.

Well whatever the reason, it is plain that interest in peacock bass fishing in the amazon is as strong as ever. Otherwise, prices would be going down.
bookings 
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Bob Daly
I think what has increased the price is many Brazilians are now fishing for peacocks. In years past I most always just had American fishermen in camp. Also the dollar has dropped much compared to the Real the past few years. I also go to Alaska each year and found the same as the prices are dropping to meet demand.
Interest and costs of peacock fishing-up 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Travel Planning & Research Information