PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » I am good on woodchoppers, rippers, and jigs ... what about
I am good on woodchoppers, rippers, and jigs ... what about 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Art Weston
minnows, jerk baits, spoons, etc. (all other lures) ... what are the best brands, sizes, colors? Thank you!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:32 am Reply with quote
Dan Hanon
Minnows: 1. Crystal Minnow 5 1/4" (Floating) silver with blue or black
back (2).
2. Yozuri Tobimaru 5 1/4" (floating) silver with blue or black
back and silver with red head (2).
3. Rapala X-Rap 12 in pearl ice (it's basically all white), remove
the front plastic lip to create a more erratic motion during the
retrieve (2).

Zara Spooks: 1. Super Spook in bone, gold shiner, white with
redhead, etc. (2).

Forget the Spoons, spinnerbaits, etc. All you need are a few topwater props, jerkbaits, spooks and jigs. Depending on conditions and where you are fishing, jigs might be the most productive for "numbers" of fish. You can even catch big ones on them!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:18 am Reply with quote
Rick Klotz
Art:

I would also throw in a couple poppers (silver/blue chug bugs or bone/orange) and a couple large rattle traps. You may not use them much, but they can be just the ticket at times. They also catch other species. Skip the spoons. I would add a white/red head Yozuri as well.

Overall you won't lose as many lures as you may think so don't over pack. The guides are terrific at retrieving them, whether it's up in the trees or on some submerged log. Jigs would be the exception because the piranha can give them a quick haircut. If you need to save a little weight, consider bringing bodies without hooks/rings that you can rig if you need to once you're there.
Don't Forget Search function 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
Art,

One of the things that makes this forum better than all others is the "Search" function located along the header strip on all pages. Just put in "spoons" or "spinnerbaits" and hit submit and you will see the links to all posts and replys that have discussed spoons and spinnerbaits. We keep most all of the helpful posts or "threads" on the PBA Forum for a long time and our library is extensive.

I think there is a place for spoons and have always liked the PET #18 and #22. You have to keep the single hooks very sharp! One of the hardest strikes I ever had was from an 18 pounder that hit on the first crank and broke my rod; I landed him!

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Rick Klotz
Larry:

When you use the spoons, do you use a swivel?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
Yes, I use a snap swivel on all spoons, even though the Tony Acceta PET spoon usually wobbles on the retrieve (unlike many others that rotate around their axis). The Krocodile is a really good one that does rotate on the retrieve, but you must change out the hook to an extra strong one like the new Diachii 7X treble in a 2/0 size.

I'll use snaps and sometimes snap swivels on many of my minnowbaits (hard plastic jerkbaits) so that their action is maximized which is important often after changing out the wimpy hooks for some strong peacock-ready trebles (which can slightly dampen the action - not always bad). In some cases, I'll just go with a large, heavy duty split ring (in lieu of the snap) that I already have added to the bait before my trip.

www.larsenoutdoors.com
Split Rings on top of lures 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Art Weston
As with the Yozuri Tobimaru's, they come with a split ring at the nose of the lure to tie the line to. Should that be replaced with a stronger one, or should you even remove it to tie directly to lure? I imagine the action can be affected by it.

-Art

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
On minnowbaits with a "weak" (looking) split ring already attached, I always change it out. Some topwater plugs have/did come with a weak one in years past and I just eliminated them and tied direct. I believe using a split ring makes much more of a difference on submerged "active" baits. On surface plugs, the tuned tail spinner noise and action is paramount, in my opinion.

www.larsenoutdoors.com
I am good on woodchoppers, rippers, and jigs ... what about 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle