PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Water & Weather Conditions » Anybody (besides me) been cancelled yet?
Anybody (besides me) been cancelled yet? 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Dink Alston
We were suppose to fish the first week of December and got cancelled and rescheduled to January 25 due to high water. Now it's touch and go as to whether we go this time.

I generally schedule to go in October and have never been cancelled because of the high water. October would have been great this year. I waited until December to get a trip to a new camp that I thought would be really nice, but in retrospect, should have stayed on the October schedule.

Anybody know if the Rio floods are affecting the Amazon basin?

Dink

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:11 am Reply with quote
Jim Wright
Dink,

I was supposed to fish with RPO this next week. We have been rescheduled for the first week in March. Hope the levels are down for your trip!

Jim

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Jim Wright
I was rescheduled for next week with RPO.....just heard we have been cancelled again due to high water!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Dink Alston
Jim,

We were cancelled again since I posted this. My whole group finally threw in the towell and rescheduled for next October. From what I've heard, there hasn't been a whole lot of serious fishing this season. Maybe that bodes well for next year.

Dink

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Jim Wright
Dink,

I asked on this forum but received no response. What is the best way to minimize the cost loss for cancelling and/or rescheduling air fares? Is there any trip insurance for this?

Thanks,
Jim

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Dink Alston
Jim,

I'm sorry for such a late reply, but I just now noticed your question.

It's basically a crapshoot with the travel insurance companies paying anything when being cancelled due to the high water. I do know some guys who were payed for the whole trip, some who got partial payment, and some who were denied.

Anymore I've just been getting the medical EVAC insurance and foregoing the travel insurance. If you fly TAM, they will put your ticket on hold and let you reschedule anytime within a year, but with about a $150 rescheduling fee and of course more money if the fare is higher than your ticket they're holding. They won't refund any though if the fare goes down.

Just about all the outfitters will let you reschedule, so generally the most I'm out is the change fees from TAM (I live close to Miami so I don't have to worry about domestic ticket refunds). It's not the best scenario, but I've come to realize that I can't control the weather, and I know the fishing is poor with the high water (I've done that too), so I tend to look at it as the cost of doing business so to speak.

At least that's been my experience with cancellations.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Jim Wright
Dink,

Thanks for the reply. I also have come to the conclusion that the best bet is to book the lowest fare with the lowest rebooking fee. Currently I am scheduled to go the end of September to the beginning of October, RPO has been great about rebooking.

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Dink Alston
Jim,

Looks like we'll just miss each other. I'll be there October 7.

I know in the annals of peacock history, Dec-Feb. was always the time to go, but I've been going for six years now, and October has been perfect everytime (except for the extreme low water year before last), when everything from Dec. on was washed out quite a few times. I firmly believe that the weather patterns have changed and Sept-Nov. is the optimum time now, even on the Negro system.

Dink
Water Levels in September & October 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:04 am Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
Jim and Dink,

We all look forward to your water level (and fishing success) reports when you get back. Please do it as a "New Posting" when you have a chance. I know that Frank Carbone will be returning from his Amazon trip in early September and will give us an update on levels in the Rio Madeira watershed.

Have a great trip guys and leave a few monsters for the rest of us!

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com
Anybody (besides me) been cancelled yet? 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Water & Weather Conditions