PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Destinations & Habitats » Amazon Otter
Amazon Otter 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Rick Klotz
Anyone fished on the Otter? I'm trying to decide between that and the Blackwater Explorer for a Fall, 2011 trip.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Dink Alston
Rick,

I fished with Gilbert (boat owner) on the Otter my very first trip back in 2006 I think it was. The boat was brand new at that time. It was probably one of the nicest boats I've fished from. The bedrooms are huge, no bunkbeds. All the rooms, dining, bathrooms, lounge, etc. are all huge.

That being said, we didn't know any better at that time and were fishing extremely high water. We only caught probably a dozen fish over 10#'s, but actually broke the boat record with numbers. Caught a lot of small pacas on plain old striper jigs. In retrospect, we should have been cancelled or rescheduled.

Gilbert had a couple of very good guides at that time named Amral (sp) (we called him Armoral, like stuff on your tires) and one named Joe.

Haven't seen the boat, Gilbert, or any of the guides since.

Dink

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:46 am Reply with quote
Dink Alston
Both Ricks,

Don't take me the wrong way........I'm not knocking Gil. Gil runs a first rate operation. He is extremely knowledgeable and personable. Unlike many operators, he was on the boat the whole week handling all aspects of the trip.

I mentioned that the boat is probably the best I've seen down there. The rooms are probably twice the size of most boats, bathrooms included. The food couldn't have been any better.

You don't hear a whole lot about the Otter and Gilbert because he doesn't need to advertise much. He has a loyal client base that returns year after year. I know guys who won't fish with anybody else.

The trip I referred to was a Feb. trip with very high water. Back then, high water was causing all the operators problems, leaving few trips that found optimum water levels. Rick S. was correct in that Gilbert had us on fish, when other operators were blanking on some days. We talked to other boats on the water that hadn't caught a fish, when at least we had 30-40 pacas boated with a few in the 10-12# range. Our two biggest for the week were 18# and 15#. As I said, in "retrospect" we should have cancelled. But in those days, hardly any operators cancelled due to high water. I would, and probably will, fish with Gilbert again.

I mentioned Amral and Joe because they were my favorites and the only names I could remember.

That trip (my first) still ranks as one of my favorite trips even though we didn't hit the motherload of 20# peacocks.

I do remember Gil having boxes upon boxes upon boxes of woodchoppers, high rollers, and many topwaters I haven't seen since. He had enough tackle to outfit 50 anglers right there on the boat.

Dink

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:07 am Reply with quote
Rick Klotz
Thanks guys. I was mostly concerned with the quality of the boat, service and guides and those questions have been answered.

Rick - I am tentatively booked for the 2nd week in October. When are you thinking of going?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
Hey Rick,

Both the Otter and the Blackwater Explorer are good operations with professionally run outfitters (Ron Speed and Paul Reiss) who are long-time PBA Supporting Members. Their agents which also include several of our long-time Supporting Members are also usually very professional and trustworthy.

As I have cautioned before several times, most of the problems that anglers run into are when dealing with outfitters that are not members of PBA. Those that can't afford the minimal dues of the association may not be financially secure. As is often the case, new outfitters/agents come and go and there is usually a good reason why they don't last in this industry. You can usually deal with confidence in the Supporting Members of PBA. Check out the full Contact List in our Directory at http://www.peacockbassassociation.com/html/contact_dir_.html

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Bobby W. Foster
PBA Moderator
I agree with Rick S. about Gilberto, they were my first trip outfitters in 2001 and I still love the ole Clipper. She was cramped for space, the dining was outside which I loved and you took your shower at the back of the boat one at a time, but to me it was the real Peacock Bass fishing experience. It is a hands on trip by the owners and that is why you never hear any bull crap about them. Amerol was as good as they come. If I wasn't fighting ole "C" I would be taking a trip with Mr. Reiss for sure. Good luck guys on your upcoming trips. Bobby Foster
Amazon Otter 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Destinations & Habitats