PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Forum Catch-All » visa/ups nightmare
visa/ups nightmare 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Sean Wood
PBA Moderator
So I leave with a group of buddies on Feb 3rd to Brazil for peacock fishing. I just got back from Brazil in November in which I only got a 90 day visa. Which expired a month before I was to go again. So a buddy of mine and I get together and sat down to fill out our 3 hrs worth of paperwork to send in our passports for our visa 5 weeks out from our trip. After about 10 days I go to the visa company website to check the status. They have no record. I then proceed to check the ups tracking number online. It says basically they don't know where it is. So my buddy and I have to drive 10 hrs round trip to minnesota to get our new passports. Which we recieved the same day. We drive back and the next day I spend another 3 hours worth of paperwork and running around. Fed ex priority overnight our paperwork again to our visa service in chicago.
I get a call on monday from the visa service who tells me that at the current pace the brazilian goverment is taking 15 business days (three weeks) for any visa that comes thru a visa service. But if we come to the consulate in person we should be able to get it back in 7 days or less. So with no other choice, and alot of money and time on the line we load up after work yesterday and proceed to make the 6 hr trip to chicago. After spending the night in an over priced downtown hotel we proceed the next morning to pick up our passports and paperwork from this down town high rise. We walk about 3 blocks to the counsulate and wait about 10 minutes before we are helped. We sat down and left 5 minutes later with the date of our visa to be complete on Jan29th and to be with us on Jan 30. We shall see how that goes. Then we proceeded back home on the next leg of our 6 hr trip in an ice storm.

The moral of this story that I want you to take away from this.

Number 1. Use fed ex and put your important documents in a box and not a big envelop. Even though this cost more it is harder to lose a box then a envelop.

Number2. I would insure it for about 500-1000 as we will have close to 750 or so between the two of use in get this all done. That does not include the two days off work for both of us.

Number 3. Apply for the visa as soon as you are pass the 90 day threshold of entry to give you more time to mess with this.

And the most important thing you should take away from this is that this should tell you how much I love this damn fish, damn sport, country and it's people to go thru all of these hoops and extra expenses.

Sean

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Dink Alston
Sean,

On my trip back in December, my brother went through almost the same exact scenario you did, except when he arrived at the Brazilian Consulate in Miami at 2:00pm, they explained they didn't accept visa applications after 1:00pm. Ended up finding a Visa service in the next building that got it to him 2 days before we had to fly out.

For a reason I'll never know, they gave me a 5 year visa my first trip, so I've not had that hassle for a while. But it expires this year, so my time is coming.

Dink
Visa News Coming ... 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:57 am Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
Sean,

Sorry to hear about your hassle. As you know, one of the biggest roadblocks to maximum Brazilian tourism for many Americans is the visa requirements. Going through the process is a deterent for many potential visitors there, but our love of the fish and willingness to do what's required, allows us to enjoy the Amazon with fewer anglers and tourists in the area.

I had a call from a couple of anglers (around the first of the month) that ran into timing problems on obtaining their visas. Their particular Brazilian consulate was telling everyone that they needed 21 business days to process any visas. The two guys had 20 business days before leaving on their trip. So they were calling around to find operations that could take them a couple of weeks later since their existing operator either didn't have a later trip opportunity or had a full boat on the two later weeks that might work for the two anglers. They just didn't want to take a chance on not getting the visa before they had to fly on the earlier dates. Not sure what they ended up doing.

One thing is for sure: all consulates are not the same in their issuing requirements or even how they deal with expediting services. While it won't change anything on your trip, PBA will have huge news in our February issue of our eZine, "The World of Peacock Bass", about a significant change in Brazil visa requirements. Members should "stayed tuned" for that exciting news in about one week!
:-D :-D

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com
Yellow Fever shot 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:09 am Reply with quote
Sean Wood
PBA Moderator
When I was at the consulate the lady asked me if i had my yellow fever card. I told her I had it home. She said make sure you take it with you as you will have to show it to the federal police when entering. I was just there in Novemeber. They never asked for it then. I did advise all the guys going with me to get the shot. I would suspect in the future it will be come a requirement. I was talking toFishquest. She said her husband is going to China and has to obtain a whole bunch of shots for that trip.

Oh well. Whatever it takes to get the big one.
Sean

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:33 am Reply with quote
Jim Wright
I guess all Consuls are not the same. I applied through a visa service and received my 5 year visa in 12 days. Those days included Christmas and New Years. This was from the Los Angeles Consul. After reading the stories here I even went to the trouble of renewing my passport first so I would have the full 5 year use of the visa. I am also leaving on Feb. 3 to fish with RP.
Visa in expired passport still valid 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
Jim,

If you get the multi-visit, 5-year Brazilian visa, it is valid for the full 5 years even if you have to get a new US passport. I and several others have had to take our new passport and the old expired one with the still valid visa in it with us to Brazil. Show them the valid visa in the expired passport and then the new valid passport. No problem.

www.larsenoutdoors.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Jim Wright
Larry,

Good to know. All Visa's are not the same! My Chile Visa is good until the passport expires. I will pass your information to the others in my group who may think they have less than 5 years on their Visa.

Jim

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:42 am Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
Jim,

You are right about Chile's "visa" being valid only for the life of your passport where it is stamped. You also purchase the Chile visa at the Chilean airport upon arrival of your flight. so in reality, it more like an "entrance fee" for multi-years than Brazil's visa which is applied for ahead of the flight with all kinds of required documentation and photo submission.

www.larsenoutdoors.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Dave Wiseman
I have been really lucky with visa's this year. In fact, I have just had my third one issued this year to enter Brazil, and I will be heading down to fish with RP on Feb 5.
The first 2 visa I had issued were for Business trips and both were cancelled at the last minute. With the 90 day entry requirement I have had to get 3 visas this year even though each one had a 5 year life.
I was just notified a couple of weeks ago that Brazil is now doing away with the 90 day entry requirement. A little late for me, but should give some flexiblity to those with postponed trips in the future.
Visa Update 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Sean Wood
PBA Moderator
Well the fishing gods must have felt sorry for me. I recieved my visa today and it is a 5 year visa. So that should hold off the nightmare scenario for at least 5 more years. Now all that has to happen is the water needs to come up a bit.
Sean

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Sean Wood
PBA Moderator
Also, on my new visa it did not say on it that it needed be used within the first 90 days. So it looks like the brazilian goverment has changed their policy.
Sean

visa/ups nightmare 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Forum Catch-All