PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » Catfish rod options
Catfish rod options 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Sean Wood
PBA Moderator
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions out there for what type of rod I can take for big cats in the amazon. I really don't want to have to use a 300.00 loomis travel rod. But at the same time I don't want to spend another 300.00 on a different catfish rod that is bulky and needs a long rod tube case either. I guess another question is does the acute angling camps that target catfish and multi species have catfish rods there that a guy could use. I am going to the Rio PAcu.
Sean

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Rick Klotz
Sean:

Take a look at the Offshore Angler Ocean Master travel rods. On sale you can find them for $100.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Sean Wood
PBA Moderator
Thanks Rick. Do you think these rods have enough shoulders to fight a big cat?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Rick Klotz
Sean:

"Big" is a relative term. I expect there's cats in those waters that you'd need a winch and a jeep to get out of the current. I can say they offer a cost effective alternative over St Croix and G Loomis. My feeling is the shoulders on a $100 rod can be just as good as one costing 2-3 times as much. IMHO - the expense of rods is more noticable when it comes to finess. All I can say is check them out first if you can. I rarely buy a rod unless I can put in my hand first.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Dan Hanon
Rick, I bought a couple of these 3 piece Off-Shore Angler rods from BPS at your suggestion and I really like them. I bought the 7" heavy action rod rated at 25-30 lb. line. I use them with ABU Ambassadeur 7000's for blue and flathead catfish in various Missouri rivers. I brought one down to the Amazon for redtails, but I didn't get a bite. I also didn't fish very long or hard for them, nor at optimal times.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:19 am Reply with quote
AndrewTaylor
Bass Pro makes great catfish rods for a bagain price, but they are 1 piece. As I only fish 1 piece rods, they work for me! They are the Offshore Angler Power Plus rods (Boat, Trolling). You can get a 7' 30-50lb class rod for a meager $25.00. Don't let the low cost fool you. These are outstanding cat rods with quality components throughout. Strong and light and ideal for the big amazon cats. If you want an even heavier rod, they make the 7' 50-80lb for the same price. Unbeatable for a 1-piece!

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_15162_151002000_151000000_151002000_151-2-0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Sean Wood
PBA Moderator
Is it possible to take a one piece cat fish rod, cut it in two pieces and add some sort of componet to be able to put it back together and keep most of it's strength? All my rods that I take are three piece travel rods. So it would not make any sense to take a rod tub with one rod in it.
Sean

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Dan Hanon
Sean,

That would be a good question for Dink Alston, hopefully he sees this post or you can email him. If memory serves me right, Dink is working on a prototype "Amazon Catfish" travel rod.

My thought is that you are better off sticking to a two or three piece travel rod, instead of modifying a one piece into a two piece yourself, unless you are skilled in working with graphite/fiberglass.

I do like the fiberglass one piece Off-Shore Angler rods Andrew mentions because they are strong and inexpensive, I bought one for my son for local use. I prefer graphite rods for use in my Missouri rivers, but fiberglass or composite rods are better for "big" fish.

Dan
Catfish rod options 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle