PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » Super Spook Size

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Rick Klotz
Don't bother. They're heavy as heck and hard to work plus no more effective than regular spooks. Just change out the hooks on a regular - from 3 to 2 (skip the middle one) and make them 3X or 4X.
Other Considerations 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:15 am Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
Rick is right. The 8-inch is unsuitable for peacocks; the 7-inch is very heavy but can be productive, although is a lot of work. Since most "dog-walkers" use their wrists primarily, it is too much work for the return. The best size is the 5 1/4 beefed up like Rick says. Be sure to beef up the split rings also or your nice 3X or 4X hook will stay with the fish when you reel back your destroyed plug. Try to employ a new front hook that is one size larger than the new rear hook (such as 3/0 on front and 2/0 on back) and test it on the water before you go to make sure the nose is out of the water enough for easy "walking". A wooden Zara (or similar plug) floats differently that a plastic-bodied one.

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Bobby W. Foster
PBA Moderator
Dave I float test every top water lure that I buy. I have bought some that stood vertical in the water right out of the box and a couple through the years that sunk. I was able to return the bad ones since I bought them locally. Float testing also gives you a chance to change hooks at locations to give you a better seat in the water. You may need different sizes at the front or rear to give you a better float. The big Spooks are worthless unless you are trying to knock the monkeys out of the trees. They should have made them about six inches and they probably would have been much better to work. Bobby Foster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Dan Stock
Hey Dave,
I certainly agree with everyone about "beefing up" existing lures rather than going with larger sizes.
Walk-the-dog baits generally have a much softer/milder water entry and the presentaion is much more subtle than rippers, chuggers, or poppers.

The Original ( 6.25" ) Highroller cats and walks fairly well and is made strong enough for peacocks. Being wood, you can cast it all-day with less tiring than most big rip baits.

The now-discontinued MegaBait Surface Darter is SUPER Heavy Duty right out of the box, and needs no "beefing" as is. Hooks easily handled bluefin and yellowfin tuna well over 25# last season.
We have a few ( 1 or 2 ? ) available.
Super Spook Size 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle