PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Destinations & Habitats » Peacock Virgin
Peacock Virgin 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Dave Mariani
Looking to hear from other anglers and not agents. This is my first time planning a trip for Peacock Bass or fishing for them, and I was hoping to get recommendations on where to go(river) and with what outfitter? Also what month to go. I am planning a first trip for a group of us and am really at a loss of where to go for huge peacock bass. It seems I hear something different from each outfitter I talk to. Any help or nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated I would hate to plan a bad trip and have my buddies hate me for it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Bobby W. Foster
PBA Moderator
Hello Dave and welcome to the world of Peacock Bass Fishing. If you could give the forum a little more information such as what kind of operation you want to fish. You have land base lodges, floating mobile small barges, and what I call mother ships that also move from day to day to keep you in different areas. Are your fishing buddies experienced anglers or novice. What kind of numbers per day would you expect to catch. Some areas produce higher numbers and other produce the larger fish. What time of the season do you expect to fish. A lot of the fishing in the beginning of the season takes place south of Manaus which usually produces high numbers. As the conditions dictate the fishing moves to the north of Manaus to the tributaries of the Rio Negro. I suggest you invest in some books on this great fish, they will really help you. I invested in Larry Larsen's series of books when I first started and still read them before a trip. When you answer some of these questions it will help give us an idea where to point you.

Bobby Foster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:00 am Reply with quote
Dave Mariani
We are looking for a 20lber and we are not concerned so much with numbers of fish caught. All People going on the trip are experienced fisherman but not peacock bass fisherman (some are Fly fisherman and some are bait casters). We are leaning towards the floating barges as we believe they can reach farther up the small rivers to more unexplored spots. Time of the year does not matter, but from what I have read so far it seems Oct -early Dec seems like a good time to go to the Rio Negro. Any tips on outfitters, areas and general things a first timer should know would be greatly appreciated.

For a private response, just click the email button at the bottom of this Post and send your message to me directly.

This is all confusing the first time
Peacock bass Fishing 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Greg Thompson
Site Admin
Dave,

I sent you some information by email but I am not sure you got it. Bobby is right. You need to consider all his questions before you decide where to go. As far as the best time to go. The real answer IS: when the water is right. Not out of the banks but not to low to navigate and get back into lagoons. I will be glad to answer any of your questions as will most of the great people on the forum. We might disagree on techniques or locations, but we all agree that once you have hooked a PB you are addicted for life. I also would recommend the DVD Larry made called Master secrets to Peacock Bass fishing.

Greg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Dan Stock
Dave,
The seasoned veterans here on the Forum can give you the very best advice available on a peacock trip. We may all have some favorite outfitter's, but like the others have said, the water is the number one most important factor for a successful "catching" trip.

I'm sure I speak for the others when I tell you with all sincerity, if any of us can help make YOUR trip better, please let us know through the Forum, a phone call, or via private email.

Good luck.
Peacock Virgin 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Destinations & Habitats