PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Field Reports & Fish Info » La Zona January 6th to 9th, 2017
La Zona January 6th to 9th, 2017 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:33 am Reply with quote
Bob Daly
Recently fished the Uruguay River in the section known as La Zona for golden dorado. I have fished there each year since the zone opened to sportfishermen. This was definitely my best trip to date for huge golden dorado. For the group of 4, we landed and released 2 @ 50 lbs, 1 @ 49 lbs, 1 @ 48 lbs, 5 @ 46 lbs, 4 @ 44 lbs, 1 @ 43 lbs, 2 @ 42 lbs, and 1 @ 40 lbs, for a total of 17 trophy dorado, and numerous in the 15 to upper 30 lbs range. The top lure by far was very strong spinnerbaits being dragged through the rocks. The water levels were ideal at around 14 ft of which varied a few feet from day to evening. Many articles have been recently written regarding the "new" zone restrictions being now 500 meters from the dam walls set forth by the Argentina government as protection from terrorist activity by the dam. We fished much closer than 500 meters. For those who have fished La Zona, I have never landed a true monster over 50 lbs near the dam walls. Too much time is spent battling smaller dorado in the 30 lbs range thus wasting valuable time as the drifts in the zone are extremely fast. Therefore, starting the drift away from the dam walls puts you in better position to catch true giants as evidenced by our results. A new lodge complete with swimming pool is being built and could possibly be ready to open in the 2018 season. In my opinion, La Zona is the world greatest freshwater fishery. The golden dorado ranks second on my list as the greatest fighting freshwater fish next to the Papua New Guinea Bass. So, get down there as soon as you can to experience this fantastic fishery. Don't be fooled by these false claims of poor fishing and trying to recommend fishing dorado elsewhere where a 10 lbs would be at the top of the weight size!!! Rolling Eyes Very Happy
La Zona January 6th to 9th, 2017 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Field Reports & Fish Info