PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » Fishing strategy for the big fish.
Fishing strategy for the big fish. 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Bron Rayburn
I will be going back in January for my second trip. I would like it you boys that have been many times would share more ideas on strategy for the big fish. There must be many opinions on this topic. Lets break out a discussion. Looking back, unless I am missing them not many posts on this topic. Regards-

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Dan Hanon
Highroller Riproller, Pavon Prop, etc. 6-7"
Large subsurface glide bait, eg Sebile Stick Shad 155mm
Large swimbait, eg Dahlberg's Mr. Whiggley or Banjo Minnow 6-7"

Greg Thompson posted that he caught two big peacocks last month on HighRollers.
Big Fish Strategy 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:06 am Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
Bron,

Stick with some of the large topwater plugs after 9 am but don't wear yourself out. You generally won't catch as many fish, but your average size peacock will generally be larger. Use Fire Tiger for partly cloudy to sunny (most times) and either black with orange belly or "Halloween" colors for dark drizzly times. In hard driving rain, after 10 minutes, get under a tree and wait it out. :-) After an extensive downpour, you'll then need to wait about 60-90 minutes for the surface water to heat up again so that the giants can become active enough to explode on a surface plug. Stick with jig or minnowbait until then. Also use those lures first thing in the morning and to break up the angler's fatigue from tossing big topwaters ... off and on during the day. Finally pick up a copy of my DVD (you probably have it) which focuses on catching "teeners". http://www.peacockbassassociation.com/html/peacock_bass_books_products.html

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com
Big Fish 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:58 am Reply with quote
Greg Thompson
Site Admin
Bron, first I think you don't fish for them you hunt for them. Always keep watching for minnows jumping out of the water, unusual ripples and of course big blow ups around. I fish as much with my eyes and ears as I do with my lure. My personal favorite is the HighRoller Halloween, or as the grandfather of the amazon Hoyt Fincher calls it. The Red Devil!!! Points points points, fish top water switch to sub surface and jigs and keep rotating. As the littler fish come out and you start catching them the big ones will eventually come to see what all the commotion is about. Don't hesitate to fish a little way down the point and come right back to it.
Big Fish 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:53 am Reply with quote
Bob Daly
IF allowed would definately take along some very large circle hooks for slow trolling live bait. Will increase your odds 100% for monster peacocks. If allowed and plan on doing it, make sure to bring along a small spinning rod/reel to catch some bait. :-D
Fishing strategy for the big fish. 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle