PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Water & Weather Conditions » Barcelos
Barcelos 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:13 am Reply with quote
Steve Townson
Just spoke to our partner in Barcelos. Although water is dropping fast in the Manaus area, Barcelos and Santa Isobel are way too high for any fishing due to more heavy rain. All tributaries are flooded with no beaches on view. While fishing has often been successful in September (and even August some years), historically October is the 'start' of the season.
Anyone heading out in September should check with their outfitters on true levels.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:17 am Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
Thanks for the report Steve. I totally agree. I have heard the same thing. Some trips are being called off.

Some good mid-August fishing took place on the Rio Negro, but it is now way too high for any fishing in most tributaries and on the main river according to my Brazilian sources. The Madeira watershed is also having some problems (on specific tributaries) with a little too much water from what I've also heard. Check with your outfitter.

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com
Water, water everywhere 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:08 am Reply with quote
Bobby W. Foster
PBA Moderator
Oh wow not what I wanted to hear around Barcelos and north. We start fishing on the 5th of October, water needs to fall a bunch between now and then. What are you guys thoughts, of course it all has to do with the rain between now and then. Cross my fingers. Texian

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:26 am Reply with quote
Steve Townson
Bobby,
My contact says if it doesn't rain heavily anymore, beginning October should start to be good again.Even with higher water, right at the beginning of the season when the levels start to drop for the first time, it's like someone turned on the light switch! Game On!!
I have caught many big fish in dropping water, even with the levels up into the trees.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:02 am Reply with quote
Bobby W. Foster
PBA Moderator
Thanks for the positive info Steve, when someone says high water down there it is jolt to the ole mind and heart. Hopefully the showers slow down and we can get some good fish in the boat. It has been six years since my last trip due to cancer and I can't wait to get back. My main goal is to make sure one of my rookie fishing buddies catches some nice peacocks. I have caught plenty through the years and really like watching the first timers when a big boy hits a giant top water. If you would keep us posted on water conditions when you hear them, you the man.

Texian

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:41 am Reply with quote
Steve Townson
Will do Bobby. I leave for Africa 1st October, so I will find out before and post it here.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:33 am Reply with quote
Steve Townson
Water still way up there in Barcelos and SIRN .... but the good news is apparently levels are slowly dropping about 5-8cms per day in some areas. If that keeps going, another 10-15 days will make all the difference. 21 days till you go Bobby, so should be even better so fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
Just heard that the water levels on the entire RN are very high, some 4 or 5 feet above this time last year. Lots of rain in the watershed far northwest over the last couple of weeks has flooded upstream. Keeping our fingers crossed for some quick dropping water soon.

Any first hand reports of current levels???

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com
Barcelos 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Water & Weather Conditions