PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » Spooks
Spooks 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Rick Klotz
I can walk the dog with the best of them, but I've had very limited success consistently catching peacocks on spooks. More missed strikes than hook ups. I've tried them throughout the day, high and low water and stained versus murky.

Anyone have any suggestions on when they work best and how?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Steve Townson
Hi Rick,
Most will think I'm nuts, but try changing out the rear hook for a single 6/0. You'll be amazed at the hook-up rate!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:10 am Reply with quote
Rick Klotz
Steve:

I will try that, but more importantly, I just don't even seem to generate as many strikes with it so I lose confidence after about 15 minutes of throwing it.

Are there conditions where you've found it works best?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:18 am Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
I usually throw tail-spinner topwaters but have had a few days of some great fishing with the spooks. I put two 3/0 7X Daiichi bleeding bait red treble hooks on a large Spook and tossed it in a shallow flat that ranged in depth from 3 to 6 foot deep. As I recall, I hooked about a dozen "teeners" in about two hours and landed about 8 of them. In that kind of activity the lures are great to fish. But when you walk that dog for 45 minutes or so without a strike, you (and I) can get impatient. Use the two replacement hooks front and tail and remove the middle hook and it'll work just fine.

My advice on fishing Spooks is to find signs of activity (bait, movement, etc.) in the area before tossing them. All of that said, I think they can be more effective on smaller fish than the giant tail-spinners can be, if you are looking for action and can put up with exercising your wrists a lot (instead of arms and shoulders) in the ever-present Equatorial heat.

Last edited by Larry Larsen on Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:43 pm; edited 2 times in total

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:26 am Reply with quote
Dan Hanon
Steve, the single tail hook is what the saltwater GT guys use on all their poppers and stickbaits. They also claim a better hookup ratio, plus one large single hook is stronger than a similar sized treble with three smaller hooks. I think single hooks work good with large-mouthed fish that engulf their prey, like peacocks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Steve Townson
Rick:
For me first thing in the morning and last light in the evening, nothing better to see that mirror-still water exploding. Also when PBs are being finicky with Propbaits, I use Spooks. I normally pull in a teener or two each trip like this.
Dan:
As far as single hooks are concerned, I am trying this out on Rapala Skitterwalks for Tigers in October. I have actually changed out both front and back hooks to large singles, (nearly circle hooks and bent it out sideways a bit) for a better hook-up rate. The rear hook is attached with a split ring onto a strong mini-swivel, attached to another split ring and then the hook. This gives it a better hook hold apparently and stops the fish from tearing out the hook. The front hook is just two spilt rings and the hook facing forwards.
I will also be trying this out on topwaters in Brazil in late October and on Wolf Fish later on in November!
I will post accordingly but it has to be better and kinder than 3 trebles!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Steve Townson
Rick:
I forgot to say, spooks are fantastic baits for fry balls!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Steve Townson
Try this link: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152187880397468&set=pcb.10152187905172468&type=1&theater
Spooks 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle