PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » New Power Pro Zero-Impact Line
New Power Pro Zero-Impact Line 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:40 am Reply with quote
Art Weston
**I previously posted this in the wrong forum section**

This is a very interesting product.

Along the line's length, there is a 32 inch section for every 20 feet of main line that is essentially a integrated higher strength line. When you tie off your lures or hooks in this section, it has a higher absolute knot strength that if it was tied in the remaining lower strength line section. Keep in mind (kinda obvious), if there is a force on the line that is higher than the main line's strength the line will break there, even though the knot section is a stronger portion of line.

This product would in a way compete with the benefits of using hollow line loop knots (which are 100% line strength knots), which is what I prefer prior to this products release. However, hollow line is not a popular option and this line might appeal to more.

Further, there would be a mouth abrasion benefit inherent in that 32" section if there is enough of it above the knot.

The draw-back of course is if you get cut off or if the 32" section is damaged, you have to remove another 20 feet to get to the next knot section. This could be a concern if line capacity is an issue on smaller reels.

It does come in strengths up to 100lb, which should cover both catfish and peacock applications for most.

=======

PowerPro Zero-Impact

Zero Impactâ„¢ - Tighten Drag, Set the Hook Hard, Give Fish ZERO Chance to Escape!
Introducing a Termination Zone Technologyâ„¢

Line strength in Termination Zone is 50% stronger compared to nominal zone without compromising total line capacity on the reel. Simply tie your knot in one of the clearly black marked Termination Zones and feel a level of confidence that is unmatched by any other Superline on the market.

Maximum knot strength in black termination zone - 100% knot strength is typical when comparing with normal zone.

Available in Aqua Green with black marking and Hi-Vis Yellow with black marking; sizes in 20lb, 30lb, 50lb, 65lb, 80lb, 100lb and 150y, 300y, and 500y spool

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Dan Hanon
Art, interesting product, thanks for sharing. I'd love to visit ICAST someday. Hopefully most people that read this forum acknowledge this as a marketing gimmick to sell more line. Sounds like a Power Pro ploy to get anglers to waste their expensive line by encouraging use of the stronger sections for knot tying. If this product is still on the market in three years, I'll be surprised.

For anyone out there who might not be knot savvy, you can strengthen a terminal knot just by doubling the section of line you tie (general rule).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:27 am Reply with quote
Art Weston
If Power Pro designers were working on a product that addresses the issue of significant loss in line strength at the termination point, I think they deserve a lot of credit with this product. Their idea was to bulk up the line at intervals that would not add too much overall mass as to materially impact the capacity on a spool.

I would imagine 95%+ of the anglers out there that use braid, don't know how to (or understand the need for), mitigating the knot strength issue by tying a Bimini or other 100% dual-line knots or loop knots. As I have posted in the past, even with my own Bimini tool (and tying 100s of them), then testing them on a digital force gauge, I did not type 100%-types the majority of the time (even though they looked perfect).

That being said, it is definitely a disadvantage to the angler when they need to move down the line to the next knot tying section. I don't think Power Pro made the decision to maximize the distance between the knot sections in order to make anglers re-spool more often ... perhaps they did, but my guess is they wanted the overall bulk of the line to be minimized so anglers could maintain about the same spool capacity they were used to for a given line strength. If they made it every 10 feet, anglers might complain they are not getting enough line capacity ... maybe they should have done more research with anglers about how much space between sections would seem most reasonable (seems like 20 feet might be too much for most people's tastes).

If an angler were to try out this line but also limit the need to re-spool too often you could:
- tie off the line to a snap swivel (so you don't lose line each time you change lures).
- simply tie the lure to the main line until you naturally work your way back to the special knot area ... one would know that the knot was weaker there, but it would have been no worse than if they used a fixed diameter line of the same weight.

I don't disagree that this product may fail, but I do think there is merit for manufactures creating the ability to make lines with different diameter sections. I for one regularly manually create hollow line to line transitions when spooling my reels.

A great product would be for manufactures to create spools for general reel size classes (assuming there are basic standards), that stepped up in line diameter from being thinnest at the spool base and thicker at the terminal end. For instance if all 200-class reels generally held the same amount of a given line, let's say 80 yards of 60lb single diameter braid. If a manufacturer made a spool that started out at 40lbs then transitions up to 80lbs, you could get 90-100 yards with a more purposeful functionality than the former option. The need for thick line at the spool base is not needed, but having thicker line at the termination adds knot strength, abrasion resistance, and if you are fighting a fish closer to the boat, you can put more pressure on them if desired.

This invention would allow for the above concept to be a reality. However, I am not holding my breath, both because there is not consistency in reel sizes, and that most anglers don't struggle with the need to solve for this type of situation.

If I ran a small fishing tackle company (which I don't), I might see if there was a market to sell pre-made staggered line diameter spools for lets say the Curado 200, or other popular reels. I wouldn't imagine it would be a hot seller.

It might ultimately come down to price ... if they end up selling this for about the same price as other super-braids, I don't see a down-side for an angler interested in high-end line to pick this us ... if 80lb Super Slick 8 is the same price as 80lb Zero-Impact (with sections of 120lb tying zones), why not go with the Zero-impact? Again, you don't have to only tie knots in the special knot areas, and you can tie off to a snap-swivel, etc.

-Art

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Dan Hanon
Art, I respectfully disagree with you regarding this product. I have only been peacock bass fishing twice, but I NEVER broke a knot on a fish, and I caught numerous fish 12+ pounds, and lost several in the 20-pound class due to bent hooks. I did manage to land 18 and 20 pounders. Recent fishing in Australia for GT, I never broke off a fish at the knot, only midline due to coral abrasion or wind knots weakening a segment. My point is, terminal knot failure IS NOT an issue for me, or most anglers, unless maybe using very light lines. Have you had many instances of terminal knot failure?

The engineers at Power Pro have a job to create new quality products to generate revenue for the company. This product certainly fulfills that, but I won't be buying it, nor would I recommend it to my friends.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Art Weston
I thought I was being pretty practical and balanced with the product's pros and cons, so I am not sure what you are disagreeing with me about. If it is that they are doing solely as a gimmick, then I guess we do disagree (I am sure they would as well). It did win the 2013 ICAST Best of Show line award.

I wouldn't necessarily buy it or outwardly recommend it to friends either, as I use hollow braid predominantly. This product does not have any material advantages over hollow set-ups (maybe price and simplicity).

I do think their product does represent an interesting fishing line innovation that I thought other people might want to know about. I defiantly was intrigued when I read about the line for the first time ... that is why I shared it here.

That being said, if the price is similar to other super braids, I would not steer people clear of it if they want to take advantage of it ... I really don't see the harm in using it (unless an angler spools themselves buy retying at each 20 foot section multiple times a day). I don't think one can argue that it at least can create a bit of an abrasion leader for those that don't tie double line connections and just tie a palomar, etc. ... that can't hurt.

To answer your question, I have not had and terminal connection failures since I began using hollow loop connections. Prior to that, I think I had a few in my life using mono when I was younger.

However, I do pay attention to those connections ... I often replace my hollow loops daily on trips to make sure my connections are strong. I like having the confidence that everything is capable of handling a stressed fishing situation (for me it is no different than having the right split rings, swivels, hooks, etc.). I suppose I just don't want to lose a fish for something as simple as a knot or any other weak link in the chain.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Dan Hanon
The line is certainly very good, but I don't see this product translating into anything useful for me, or being a "game changer", like the hollow core PE braids. Even knots that are only 80% line strength are very strong when using 50, 65, or 80 lb test for maybe a 25 lb fish (trophy peacock bass!). I didn't mean to come off as hostile or offensive earlier. I always like reading about new products. This particular line seemed a little gimmicky to me, that's all.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Dan Hanon
Art, I don't know what I as disagreeing with you about! I assumed you were jumping on this new product bandwagon, and my initial thoughts about this product were a bit misguided. After re-reading your second post, I see that you weren't promoting the product, just writing about its potential merits, etc. I wasn't trying to be argumentative, but my post certainly came off that way!
No problem 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:02 am Reply with quote
Art Weston
No problem Dan, I think people enjoy a good point, counter point.

What I might be compelled to do here is grab a spool and test it's assumptions ... I really want to see how they integrated those higher strength line sections. I'll follow up here when I do.

-Art
New Power Pro Zero-Impact Line 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle