PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » Use of different rods for woodchoppers
Use of different rods for woodchoppers 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Art Weston
Since my first day of using a woodchopper, I have used the same custom GoldRush 6'2" rod. I have used longer rods for jigs and other lures.

Last week I began to experiment using woodchoppers on different rods with different action levels.

What I found surprised me a bit.

My 6'2" rod is a very fast action rod and it not very forgiving when it comes to moving a woodchopper though the water. I did not realize this fact until I tried those other rods. Because of its shortness and its stiffer fast action, each rip was at a very high velocity ... so much so, I have been known to skip a chopper right out of the water when it is nearing the boat (where I have to remember to slow down a bit more).

When I tried rods up to 7' with traditional fast actions, their length and give really slowed down a rip, even with the same arm and wrist velocity. What I found, is it made for a more consistent rip and less prone to skip even when nearing the boat. More importantly, it took a bit less pressure to "pull" it through the rip vs. more of a "yank" ... which takes less motion and force on the angler's part (could make a difference after a long day of casting). Lastly, the length of the rips are longer in the water (not sure that is a good thing or not), especially with the 7' rods.

However, I did find that there was more line to take up between each rip, which made me reel a bit faster in-between pulls. This could be mitigated by some of the new higher gear ratio reels that are coming out.

The ability to cast into small spaces with accuracy is easier on the shorter rods, so that is something to consider as well.

What I do think is still very good about the short peacock rods is using them for working spooks, so that the rod tip does not hit the water in a downward motion. The same thing applies to those that retrieve woodchoppers up and down their bodies vs. across their bodies (I am a bit of a hybrid here).

Anyway, thought is was a bit interesting to post.

-Art

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Dan Hanon
That particular rod blank is very stiff-I own one too, and I do like it. However, I prefer something a bit more forgiving, like my St. Croix musky rod, which works well for prop lures! For me, the 6'2"-6'3 length seems close to ideal, but I'd probably be okay up to 6'6". I certainly couldn't use a 7 footer well. Admittedly, I'm not good at working topwater baits, at least not compared to the experts! My Riprollers don't move in a perfectly straight line, and my pace isn't particularly fast. But, with the help of my guide tuning the prop blades, I can make a nice sound. When I shortened my downward strokes, I did much better. I love those topwater lures!

Japanese peacock anglers use very short rods compared to Gringos, often 5'6 to 6'0 rods. I think they're on to something (ha, ha)! Check out Tulula's Amazon series of rods for size comparos.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Dan Hanon
I misspelled the company's name in the last post, its "Tulala", Teru Bombada's rod company.

http://tulalajp.com/aventura59.html

That rod is only 5'9. Reminds me of short saltwater jigging rods, like the Shimano Trevala.
Woodchopper rods 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Bob Daly
My favorite woodchopper without of doubt is the old 1 piece 6ft Tony Rizzo Muskie rod made by South Bend. Heavy action which lets you rip those choppers really fast. I use to team this with an Abu Garcia 6000 with 40lbs Trilene Big Game mono and caught my share of 20lbs peacocks on this equipment. However do not believe they make those rods anymore and no, the 8 I have are not for sale! Laughing
Use of different rods for woodchoppers 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle