PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle » Question on Dual Props on Woodchoppers
Question on Dual Props on Woodchoppers 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Art Weston
I have been working on a few woodchopper designs that include the use of dual propellers.

Few benefits I have noticed ...
- A second propeller, when both are tuned correctly, make a terrible amount of noise and throw up a lot of water.
- The additional drag of the second propeller has straightened out some chopper lure darting (to one side or another) and therefore run very very straight.

Few consequences:
- The additional weight makes a tail drop problematic when coupled with a tail hook. This is especially true with smaller slimmer choppers.
- Depending on the tail hook size, brand, and connection type, it can cause more hook/tail tangles.

Resolution:
- For the smaller / mid-sized choppers, you can move the tail hook to the lower belly (making for two total belly hooks) and forego the tail hook all together. This will still allow for two hooks, and eliminate the tail hook snags and drop in the tail due to weight.

Question I have is why dual props are not more popular ... or any other pros/cons that people are aware of?

-Art
Dual Prop choppers 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:27 am Reply with quote
Bob Daly
For what my opinion is worth, it is not the amount of noise the choppers put out, but getting "THE" noise. In the early days of peacock fishing we only had available lures such as bass agitators, jerk-n-sams, Ozark Mountain woodchoppers plus a few others. All of these were with single props mostly small except for the woodchopper. I constantly would bend the tips of the blades to achieve the "whoosh whoosh" sound I wanted which you cannot get out of dual props. Later on the larger size choppers came out along with dual bladed peacock bass specials, amazon rippers, etc.. I think these lures got more action later in the years as the peacocks started to get use to the "whoosh whoosh" sound and in my opinon stayed away from them. From what I have read here on the forum many guys have their best luck with jigs which were unheard of in the early days. Back then, we would follow up missed chopper strikes with minnow type lures such as a redfin. Just my opinions and observations. I think it would be great reading if Larry could put out in a newsletter issue the evolution of chopper type lures in the peacock bass fishing industry! How about it Larry? Cool

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:35 am Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
Bob,

Just back from 20 days overseas. A lot of catching up to do now, but let me give it some thought. Maybe I'll address topwater "attractions" in an upcoming eZine. I agree with you that the key is is not just how much spray is tossed or how much sound is emitted by each "jerk", in my humble opinion. You can probably have too much of each that would make the persentation less effective. Stay tuned.

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com
Dual props 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:22 am Reply with quote
William Alexander
I recall that the previous 27 lb world record of a few years ago was taken on a dual prop (?) Amazon Ripper? Not sure what this means except to think that being at the right place at the right time may be just as important as sound, type of lure, color, etc. ???
Question on Dual Props on Woodchoppers 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Tactics and Tackle