PBA Home Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index Register FAQ Memberlist Search

Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Field Reports & Fish Info » La Zona April 12 to 15
La Zona April 12 to 15 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Bob Daly
Unbelievable trip to La Zona for monster golden dorado. Got the 3 largest dorado in my life at 53lbs, 52lbs,and 51lbs plus and 46 and 44. The group also got 2 at 48lbs and a 47lbs. High water conditons so was very lucky! Best fishery on earth in my opinon!! Cool
Nice! 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:23 am Reply with quote
Larry Larsen
Executive Director
Congrats on a great trip. You definitely whet a few appetites with the posting. (Its on my bucket list) Can you supply details on optimal lure types, line strength and reel capacities (to refresh our memories) and on weather?

www.peacockbassassociation
www.larsenoutdoors.com
La Zona 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Bob Daly
Larry: Water was up during our trip around 25ft deep. If anybody is heading to La Zona let me know as I have a link for the water levels which are updated twice per day. All of our dorado were caught trolling Rapala Mag 30s, Yo-Zuri Hydro Mags which I landed all my big dorado on, and giant Sebile Koolie Minnows. Key is getting the lures down to the rocks. The doors in the dam are opened producing an abundance of flow so no chance to get the lures deep while casting or jigging. I broke 1 rod during the trip a 2 piece 6ft 6in heavy musky rod. I recently bought over 30 of these rods as they quit making this model. As most here know, airlines are or will have restrictions on the size of lugguge even in checked baggage so 1 piece rod will not be allowed soon than most realize. Argentina would not allow spooled reels to be carried on the airlines. I used 100 lbs PowerPro. Replace all spilit rings with triple coiled Wolverine rings, all Owner ST-66 or ST-76 hooks. We had 1 Wolverine ring pull apart, numerous cross lock snaps got broken in half, and a few ST-66s were badly bent. I burned out the gears on my favorite reel and my buddy burned his new reel out on his first bigger dorado. The strike when trolling is unbelievable!!. Need a reel capable of holding lots of line when trolling as we need to put out about 50yds of line to get the lures to knick the rocks. Weather is cooler than normal. Was told power shortage in Argentina so the river on the other side of the dam is being kept at max levels so odds are the levels in La Zona will remain high for some time. For anyone heading down, make sure to have your Argentina entry fee paid for BEFORE you go as the airlines will not let you board without prepayment. Best of luck for anybody heading down soon!! Cool
La Zona April 12 to 15 
  Peacock Bass Fishing Forum Forum Index » Fishing Field Reports & Fish Info